can anyone provide me with a slower version of this scale?

Rate this topic

Benns

hey guys,

Recently, i have been thinking that this scale i use for my exercises is a little bit too fast for a beginner like me. Has anyone got a slow version or something similar? I can't play the piano so i am just going to have to rely on recordings.

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/bs9000/df

Try finding a software that can slow it down. I heard VLC media player can. You could also try Audacity. Or if you're willing to drop some cash there is a pretty inexpensive program called The Amazing Slow Downer.

Or ask someone here to slow it down for you

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, do you know what the name of the scale is? Maybe, i could find a slow paced one on the net if i knew the name..Might give the vlc a go though

This may sound sound like a stupid question but by slowing it down, will it still have the same effect it does on my voice?

I think it depends… I've been told that on slower scales you will have a tendency to be heavier or use more TA (chest). If the scale is fast it will encourage the use of CT (head). Also if the scale is fast it gives your brain less time to think and mess you up.

Is this a Seth Riggs warmup?

The scale is not very fast… Maybe you just have to get used to the melody? Try slowing it down first and learn it just like a song. Then you should be able to bring it back to the original speed. If you are a little bit out of tune that's ok, that should clean up. Good coordination is more important than pitch.

Nick

Also if the scale is fast it gives your brain less time to think and mess you up.

It also gives you less time to think about and hear if you are doing it correctly.

There is a time and a place for fast vocalizing, but generally speaking, unless the objective is specifically developing agility, slowing things down gives more benefits for training overall technique IMO. I don't think it's correlated with more TA activity, maybe a little bit, but I find it far more important to do exercises at a speed where I can focus on doing them correctly and smoothly instead rushing through them which hides the little mistakes

hey guys,

Recently, i have been thinking that this scale i use for my exercises is a little bit too fast for a beginner like me. Has anyone got a slow version or something similar? I can't play the piano so i am just going to have to rely on recordings.

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/bs9000/df

Benns, all:

A few thoughts for this exercise for the new year...

Here is the interval pattern. Its a combination of two arpeggios, built on the tonic chord of a major key (I, called 'one' in western harmony) on the way up, and a different one (V7, the dominant seventh of the key 'five-seven') on the way down. It returns to the root of the 1 chord for the final tone. UP: 1-3-5-8-10-12 DOWN: 11-9-7-5-4-2-1. In the key of C, the notes would be UP: C-E-G-C-E-G DOWN: F-D-B-G-F-D-C.

Because it spans the interval of the 12th, (the octave and a perfect fifth) it exercises the voice across a good range of notes. As others have pointed out, done slowly, it can be used to focus on tone quality and continuity of vocal production, especially tuning and vowel formation, very much like the 'Great Scale' exercise promoted by Lilli Lehmann in her classic book 'How to Sing'.

Once it is memorized, and technique is in place, the tempo can be increased to develop agility of production. Its very useful for classical singers who need to be able to do rapid note patterns with good production, i.e., fiorature in arias, or outright coloratura. Its been my experience that the pattern done rapidly makes it less likely to oversing, for those who have a tendency to do so.

The note pattern can also be used for onset exercises, and to develop staccato and other articulation techniques valuable for certain styles of music.

When I can get to it over the next few days, I will make a midi file with this note pattern in its transpositions, and post with multiple tempi.