Helloween - Rise and Fall

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey again! Two uploads today haha

Well, I wanted to try this song, as it is one of my favourites from Helloween. I dunno, the melody, the humor... The "happy happy Helloween" vibe in all it's splendour, haha.

It's the first verse and chorus of the song, I hope you can leave some thoughts on here.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/x-helloween-rise-and-fall

Box: https://app.box.com/s/0a5ytv7nf0jfoufz3chh

I think your tone is good, but you seem to lack the power to push the sound in the right direction. I'm not familiar with the original tune so I can't compare, but I'm just going by what I feel the style is. I imagine it's a more operatic type voice with power behind it, like Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford, no?

Nah, Kiske's voice in general in the Helloween era is very sharp and thin. Powerful, but not dark-ish, or mega chesty. I still don't have the compression I'd like to really belt out songs like Caught in a Web, Take the time and stuff by DT, or Iron Maiden, or to give my voice more "core" and edge when I try to sing a bit thinner like this. I tend to have a breathy voice.

I'm working on it, though.. and I have made great progress in a short time :) So I am quite encouraged to keep working hard.

I think sometimes a singer has to find the right genre of music to showcase their talents. I think your voice would sound very good singing some lighter stuff.

Yeah, I think that too :) Thanks for the input, man. I'll study some of Journey's songs and see what happens.

I did like the Dream Theater song you posted, but again I have nothing to compare it to since I'm not familiar with the origianl tune.

A note about Journey/Steve Perry tunes... I wouldn't really consider them "lighter" fare. On the contrary, they are some of the most challenging tunes to carry properly from a vocalist's point of view. The music itself maybe lighter than what you're used to, but don't mistake that for being "easier" to sing. It's the same with Hall & Oates or even Phil Collins. These are all powerful voices and their range is incredible.

I hope I didn't offend with my original critique, as it was not my intention. I believe critisism is good, as long as it's constructive. I'm simply trying to give you an insight into what I am hearing, and hopefully it will help you find your true voice.

Nah, don't worry, I didn't feel offended at all.

I am aware that Steve Perry's songs some of the most chellenging. And from what I have sung about Faithfully and Loving, touching, squeezing is that I need to keep working like a mad man on my compression to get that ease with which he sings. He is light, but sooo solid.

EDIT: Also he sings a lot on the passagio area. And greatly, on top of it. I think he did that on purpose just to piss off singers who covered Journey's stuff haha

What other bands with lighter vocals could you recommend, so I can listen to and pick some songs?

Thanks, Jugulator. I am currently working on compression daily, haha. Some months ago I had no idea how to adduct my folds above my bridge, and my chest voice was awfully breathy, so for me this is a huge improvement, which keeps me always motivated to keep working hard.

You sing basically everything in head/falsetto while Kiske don't. Sorry mate. Good try but you can't do this song without chest. I can try to record it to show you how Kiske does it (if I could find a good instrumental that is xD)

You sing basically everything in head/falsetto while Kiske don't. Sorry mate. Good try but you can't do this song without chest. I can try to record it to show you how Kiske does it (if I could find a good instrumental that is xD)

Thanks for posting your thoughts on here, mate. I am aware that the current state of my instrument doesn't allow me to sing as I'd want to :( but, hey! That's why we are all here, isn't it? ^.^

I know my voice "doesn't fit" these kind of songs (yet), but I am determined to get that performance level.

I know by experience how much the body can change and adapt when you do something over and over, year by year.

I have been singing the wrong way during years, and now that I started training seriously some months ago I had the handicap of a very breathy tone :/ . Very. Breathy. So, to be able to sing like this means world to me right now :)

Also, yeah.. a friend of mine named me "The King of Midi's". I wish I had musician friends who would be interested in making some tracks for me haha But I have to use what I have at hand.

Thanks again, Snejk, and by the way, I heard a lot of your songs on SC and I like your voice and style.

Xamedhi, I think the most important thing to understand if you want to sing Helloween songs is that Kiske does NOT use head voice. He has a very special voice that no one has managed to fully understand other than that he does not resort to falsetto/head, only in some VERY rare live contexts. So what you need to do is to start singing in chest voice and learn to control it. Continuing this road will lead to a bad habit that will be HARD to break once you understand and control your voice better - head will be the natural route and it's impossible to have the necessary weight and fullness to it other than at the very top.

Just a friendly tip :P

So you heard my SC, cool :P I mostly post 'works in the making' recorded on the phone so it's mostly very low quality. "Rise" and "No More Of This" are probably the only two professional vocal performances of mine.

Keep practicing and you will do great things!