what is this vocal effect called?

Rate this topic

Simon T8W

Y'all would know by now that this dude is by far my favorite vocalist of all time. I wan't to know the name of this effect used @4:35-4:37 when he sings the "yeah"? Is it creak distortion? What ever the name is, how do I achieve that? Thanks very much guys

I don't think that is creak - I think that is false fold distortion. CVT has some exercises to achieve that. I think you simulate a "choking" sound is if you are being choked. It's actually easy to produce that sound - but for me - it is not easy to produce this singing high like that in a controlled fashion. And like Phil said, if at any point it hurts, or even tickles, it is not good.

Looking at this again, I don't think I was correct before.. to my ears it doesn't sound like false fold distortion because the sound is too saturated, but I could be wrong seeing as I cannot do false fold distortion that high. This video explains this kind of distortion really well and believe it's by one of the guys on the forum. He talks about overlaying this kind of sound by manipulating placement and letting the overtones do the work for you, with I imagine, a bit of twang thrown in for good measure. I appreciate that the style are totally different but the principles are the same.