Practicing in an apartment setting

Rate this topic

pj

I've been practicing and lately I think my neighbor(s) have not been too happy with this pursuit of mine. Inevitably as we do vocal scales we need to be loud at some point or the other and I think this has probably irked my neighbour. I'm thinking on what I can do to nullify this problem. I don't own a car (and neither do my family members, plus I don't see myself owning a car in the next few years) so practicing in a car is out of the options. I could find a room at some community clubs or stuff like that but the last time I checked, the price per hour is pretty expensive. I'm looking alternatives that I can implement at home, so that I can practice without being self-conscious. Any suggestions?

P.S.: Here's a clip of myself doing some scale. It's not exactly the nicest sounding in the world, but then again we all start somewhere don't we? I intend to carry on my practice sessions because I know I need to do them to improve.

Hey Buddy.

First of all, dont get discouraged. I as a pilot, have to do my vocal training at hotel rooms. You can imagine how my next door neighbours there hear every little squeal I do. Anyways, have your neighbours actually complained to you?

I heard of using a pillow on your face while doing the exercises to muffle the sound out.. I still dont think you need to worry about bothering your neighbours. If you are using an amp to practice, then just ditch the amp. At least now.

If it is your passion, and you need it, do not care about what the ones around you think, and just keep on running forward.

I hope this gets settled for you.

Cheers and good luck!

I agree with Gilad. You are worrying about things that have not yet arisen. What if you were already the singer you imagine yourself to be? Do you then imagine them being appreciative of your singing? Or would they still complain about the volume in spite of the beauty of the singing?

You have imagined this whole scenario for what? Singing is mental.

Keep calm and don't give a damn. :)

Seriously, usually apartment complexes have rules such as "no noise after 10pm to 7am" and if you keep to those, you can have as much of a rave party or a satanic ritual as you'd like, as long as you don't damage property.

I get up at 8am to do an hour of scales just as loud as I have to, and same at night from 9pm to 10pm. Haven't heard any complaints since I'm not doing anything wrong.

When I lived in Dallas, it was in a condo. With 4 other units in the same building. Newlyweds on one side. I could hear their newfound marital bliss. They could hear me working on "The Immigrant Song" at full volume.

The neighbors on the other side had a loud stereo and liked dance music. So, I plugged my Hondo Flying V into the Roland GS-6 effects unit and into my Fender 85 (200 W rms) amp and turned it to the wall and they got to hear this.

I even looked a little like Ted, at the time.

ah, good times ....

We got along as neighbors quite well, actually. People were more concerned with dog droppings on the commons than a wannabe rock singer.

Well what happened a few months ago was, I was singing this random song and I heard from out of nowhere "Shut up!". At that time it was pushing 10pm and hence I stopped ha.

Last Saturday I had this young lad who knocked rather urgently/ furiously (?) on my door though I was actually doing soft vocal practices (working on bridging my passaigio) so I'm not sure if it's the same guy who asked me to shut up because I was practicing rather loudly in the morning ha.

True that, sometimes we do get in the way of others, but inevitably if we really want to pursue what we want then we should care less about others' thoughts.

Take a cup, put on a sock - clean or not its your choice -, a thick one, or some tissues or something fluffy not living thing so it can dampen the sound. Hold it like a microphone and put it in your mouth, let a small opening where your other hand will cover it and thats where the air will escape.

Chose one that allows you to open you mouth as much as you wish

Put stuff it up so the sound is trapped enough.

Let not a big hole so the sound escapes easily, not a small so your air doesnt escape easily

*Seal the one side of cup in one side of your mouth, will be holding it in angle, somewhat hard to describe, pretty simple to do...

Otherwise the pillow solution which has the same effects but lacks the coolness of holding an imaginary mic.

These days, I have a house on a 1/4 acre lot. Two houses down from me is a band that practices in their garage.

So, I've not had any neighbors complain about my singing. Then again, my dog has a loud and deep bark and I am tall and scary-looking. A case of where I probably look intimidating and most people shrug it off, thinking I will eventually get tired and be quiet.

:lol:

Heck, depending on the singer, there may even be benefits to practicing with a pillow...

I practiced with a pillow once and it was certainly a bit different, but not necessarily worse at all.

You know what's much worse? Practicing in the shower. You can't hear any of the mistakes you make, the acoustics blur everything together, both the tone and the pitch. There are many happy singers who do it, but what they are hearing sounds a lot better than what their voice will sound like on a gig...not a good way to practice...whereas singing into a pillow and then singing without will likely pleasantly surprise you

Heck, depending on the singer, there may even be benefits to practicing with a pillow...

I practiced with a pillow once and it was certainly a bit different, but not necessarily worse at all.

You know what's much worse? Practicing in the shower. You can't hear any of the mistakes you make, the acoustics blur everything together, both the tone and the pitch. There are many happy singers who do it, but what they are hearing sounds a lot better than what their voice will sound like on a gig...not a good way to practice...whereas singing into a pillow and then singing without will likely pleasantly surprise you

I think this is highly individual though. My best warmups are done in the shower, and I usually sing better once out of the shower aswell. Whether it is something real or placebo I don't know, but it works for me :)

I think this is highly individual though. My best warmups are done in the shower, and I usually sing better once out of the shower aswell. Whether it is something real or placebo I don't know, but it works for me :)

You mean while taking a shower? If thats the case the warm/hot water and the steam helps on warm up and for me it helps when i go hoarse or am about to, i gain part of my edge and tone back. If i would practice in the shower/bathroom? On low volume and not for long, better do that on carpeted area with curtains, room, livingroom, hallway wherever there are sound absorbing things.

Most important, when there is will, even if theres no "obvious" way, you can go your own waaaaay, go your own wayay... :D

Yeah, while taking a shower. I think the hot water definitely helps, but also I think the noise from the shower CAN work in your favour. For me it makes me focus more on sensations in my singing than sound, which makes me go for the most comfortable way of singing whatever I wish to sing, than risk oversinging by going for a certain sound that I THINK will be the correct way.

Hard to describe, and definitely individual.