Find Optimal Speaking Pitch

Rate this topic

Hi all, after practicing vocalizes and singing a boatload of different types of songs.... I do not know what my optimal speaking range is. Sometimes it is too low, sometimes it is too high. Occasionally I get stuck in a very "chesty" voice which definitely gets the girls but does not help me "thin" out the voice lol! :mad:

What are some ways to find my optimal speaking pitch? (PS... I love talking) It sucks when at the end of a long day of voice use sometimes my speaking voice becomes very "airy" and inflexible.

Hope everyone is doing well!

- JayMC

A quote from Dr. Morton Coopers book "Change your voice, Change your life"

"It therefore became clear that a new method was needed, one that would assure accuracy of pitch level, while at the same time affording simplicity and practicality. The device which evolved is so simple that you can carry it out yourself and instantaneously discover both your optimal, or natural, pitch level, as well as your correct tone focus. This is important since these two basic elements of correct voice technique are interdependent.

You have already, in fact, achieved this significant step of finding your right voice. If, that is, you have said "umm-hmmm" in a spontaneous and sincere manner, lips closed, whenever the material applied to you..

Try it again now. Say "ummm-hmmm," using rising inflection with the lips closed. It is vital that this "umm-hmmm" be spontaneous and sincere.

The sound you are producing should be your right voice-this is your natural pitch, enhanced by tone focus.

If you are doing exactly what I asked of you, you will feel a slight tingling or vibration around the nose and lips. This indicates correct tone focus, with oral-nasal resonance.

If your pitch is too low, which occurs in most cases of voice misuse, you will feel too much vibration in the lower throat, ù and very little if any at all in the mask area.

Repeat the exercise, say "umm-hmmm," to determine if you are doing it properly. Make a correction, if necessary, until you feel the tingling sensation about the lips and nose.

The beauty of this simple method is that it is one you can use all the time. You have countless occasions to say "umm-hmmm," when you are genuinely agreeing with someone, or when you merely want to test the pitch level you are using. This can be done in the home, in the office, while reading the newspaper, when talking on the telephone, when ordering lunch."

I've heard that if you go "mmmm hmmmm" with a closed mouth, like you're agreeing with something, the "hmmmm" is where you should speak.

I personally think in terms of trying to stay "top-down", or sometimes visualizing some kind of ball in my throat, that is attached to the top of my head wth a string and below into my stomach with a string, both pulled taut. I try to keep the ball in its most neutral positioning. Most guys want/tend to speak lower than ideal, and when I speak like I used to I can feel the slight tension that means I'm not speaking freely.

EDIT: Damn it MDEW you beat me :P

I've heard that if you go "mmmm hmmmm" with a closed mouth, like you're agreeing with something, the "hmmmm" is where you should speak.

I personally think in terms of trying to stay "top-down", or sometimes visualizing some kind of ball in my throat, that is attached to the top of my head wth a string and below into my stomach with a string, both pulled taut. I try to keep the ball in its most neutral positioning. Most guys want/tend to speak lower than ideal, and when I speak like I used to I can feel the slight tension that means I'm not speaking freely.

EDIT: Damn it MDEW you beat me :P

At least this time the next post was not something that contradicts my statement. :P

Wow, maybe this isn't accurate because I just did it quietly to myself, but my mhm sits around D3-G3...that's a lot higher than I normally speak!

Further reading in Dr. Coopers book states that most men will speak much lower than their optimal pitch.

Regular speach should rise and fall with the subject matter. Optimal pitch is where the center should be. Men have a habit of speaking lower thinking that it makes them sound more manly and powerful. Also the influence of your invironment and social influences will effect pitch range.

Fads also can get us to speak in a range that is not efficient for us. During the years of the "Vally Girl" syndrome females would use a high pitch squeeky voice. Today there is more instances of females speaking in a low pitch vocal fry. Neither one of those would be concidered optimal or healthy by any means.

Roger Love said to say the word "hello" and hold the note on 'o'. That is where a comfortable speaking pitch is. Notice that Roger's method allows more of all the resonances rather than just the sinus available in a closed mouth hum.

Hi all, after practicing vocalizes and singing a boatload of different types of songs.... I do not know what my optimal speaking range is. Sometimes it is too low, sometimes it is too high. Occasionally I get stuck in a very "chesty" voice which definitely gets the girls but does not help me "thin" out the voice lol! :mad:

What are some ways to find my optimal speaking pitch? (PS... I love talking) It sucks when at the end of a long day of voice use sometimes my speaking voice becomes very "airy" and inflexible.

Hope everyone is doing well!

- JayMC

JayMC: The most consistently resonant range of the voice will be where there is good alignment of harmonics with F1 and F2, particularly F1. Oren Brown, Juilliard voice teacher and voice therapist, suggested in a seminar I attended in Fall of '76 that a siren done with the attitude of a moan, on UH (as in up) would be useful to find the most resonant speaking range.

I hope this is helpful.

I just did "the tests" and I got E3-F3, which is indeed where I feel most comfortable. As much as I'd like I cannot by the life of me speak lower. I just strain and feel very uncomfortable, so I completely avoid it. Whenever I hear some 15 year old kid speaking in the A2-B2 range I feel so un-manly, haha.

I just did "the tests" and I got E3-F3, which is indeed where I feel most comfortable. As much as I'd like I cannot by the life of me speak lower. I just strain and feel very uncomfortable, so I completely avoid it. Whenever I hear some 15 year old kid speaking in the A2-B2 range I feel so un-manly, haha.

It doesn't get to be any better as you grow older. Just get used to that feeling. There are a number of women who speak lower than I do. I can go below C3 it's just not very loud and doesn't have a lot of "ring." In pop music, that's okay. In opera, though, I would be miscast that low, for example.

It doesn't get to be any better as you grow older. Just get used to that feeling. There are a number of women who speak lower than I do. I can go below C3 it's just not very loud and doesn't have a lot of "ring." In pop music, that's okay. In opera, though, I would be miscast that low, for example.

I was expecting you to say something about it. Haha Yeah, I often imitate the pitch where some women are talking just to see how OMG-LOW it is for me. I have always wondered if I am just supposed to be like I am, or is it just because I have not developed the strengh that others have.

I have observed that the more natural usable compression you have normally, the more range you will be able to cover effortlessly.

I tend to have a breathy-relaxed tone, but some days when I feel compressed since I woke up, I am able to speak lower, sing lower.. and also higher, with much less effort. I compare myself to scandinavian people, for example, and from what I have heard they have a very powerful voice naturally. Very compressed and with a.. kind of weight in their voice.

Has anyone come to a similar hypothesis/conclusion/whatever after their own observation? I'd really like to know if that is correct, partially correct, or completely wrong, as I find all this issue very interesting.

Definitely not all of us :P

I too have quite a breathy tone per default. My solution when I find this is bothering me in any way is simply speaking a little louder and with a bit more intensity. You don't want to shout, but you want to kinda get some oomph in there, may help with the "weight" you spoke of.

Some teachers have told me I have a pleasant voice to listen to. Why that is I'm not completely sure although when giving presentations I try to be calm and relaxed while speaking. I rarely speak in such a ''boomy'' and ''chesty'' sound. It's not something I do a lot and it's probably not what my voice has been ''made'' for. I often try to brighten up my tone and just ocassionally speak a bit higher if I want to make something clear. I'm probably most comfortable speaking around the mid third octave and I bottom out at G2 or so.

I can relate to your problem, though. Sometimes after talking a lot, which to my idea might not even feel compressed or anything, I'll feel a bit hoarse at the end of the day or so. Fortunately this hasn't been the case lately anymore but I'm not sure how I handled with this.