Bluesy technique john mayer uses on waiting for the world to changeong

Rate this topic

jboxprog

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate that technique john mayer uses all through his song "waiting on the world to change". My voice just can't do it at all despite that i can sing well and have done many of the common exercises. Being a white guy, he obviously didn't sound like that naturally so there must have been some sort of exercise he used to get that bluesy sound nice an strong that he uses specifically on that song. (not referring to his entire catalogue). Does anyone know any exercises for learning that? perhaps it has to do with the nasal area. id on't know.

Cheers for your help

Jason

don't forget for real, "believable" blues singing, the mental component factors in heavily...so much so that your mind will take your vocals to a bluesy tone and expression.

the blues is very authentic, heartfelt, and emotionally severe and intense at times.

focus deeply and feel those lyrics....what do they make you feel? go there......add a little cry into the vocal, add a little volume spike here and there....

you're waiting on the world to change, but you know deep inside it is what it is, and you have to really feel it and bring out that futility.

many year ago i had the luck and good fortune of meeting this "locally famous" black singer and he gave me some pointers on how to sing blues.....

man, did this cat have attitude!!! you would stand there watching him, waiting for what he did with every line....

Being a white guy, he obviously didn't sound like that naturally

ummm... what?!

Anyway, I always struggle with Mayer because his voice sounds so thick and creamy. The only way I can come close to replicating his tone is to use too much air, which is obviously not sustainable. I don't even think he really uses distortion to be honest, it's more the timbre of his voice that gives him that sound.

Yea, waiting on the world to change doesn't require any distortion. If you wanna add some and it works, go ahead, but that's not where the bluesiness is coming from. It's the pitch bending for sure. If you try to sing the song robotically, not sliding between any pitches just jumping for one to the next, you'll hear how it sounds really weird and unlike what Mayer did. So listen for where he slides between pitches, that's probably the most important bluesy effect he's implementing

I can hear the similarities between Stevie Ray and John Mayer. It seems to me that it would be similer to being very emotional and trying to hold it back just a tad. Like yelling at someone but not letting the whole room here you.

Notice that the mouth is not very open for some of the words the teeth are almost clenched, Loose but close together. The sound almost pulled to the back of the throat.

Just my opinion. You guys know I am no expert.

I can hear the similarities between Stevie Ray and John Mayer. It seems to me that it would be similer to being very emotional and trying to hold it back just a tad. Like yelling at someone but not letting the whole room here you.

Notice that the mouth is not very open for some of the words the teeth are almost clenched, Loose but close together. The sound almost pulled to the back of the throat.

Just my opinion. You guys know I am no expert.

I agree, it's definitely more of a held back sound