singing these kind of high notes?

Rate this topic

Benns

Hi guys,

forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I am still new to this ha. Anyways, as i may have stated in my previous threads, i am currently taking sls singing lessons to sing in my middle/mixed (it's one of the two lol). Anyways, it's only recently that i understood what the middle voice is. Anyways, i have always admired singers who can reach those really high notes. From my understanding of sls middle voice, the aim is to create a one voice which can go low and high and still sound the same..(correct me, if i'm wrong lol).

Anyways, i was wondering if these high notes that these singers sing with the middle voice that i will acheive soon? Again, pleease correct me if they are singing in falesstto or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaY4MPPrJvQ - 0;02;39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHXPqtKi8g - 2.26

- 0.48, 1.19-2.01, 2.01

- 3.03 and 3.28 and 3.52

Sorry, about the links haha. It's just something that has been bugging me for some time, now haha

There are a bunch of different things going on in these video at those time stamps. Some are falsetto, some are head voice... While trying not to get into a huge long discussion about what falsetto and head voice are, lets just say that head voice has a non airy sound, while falsetto has an airy quality and lacks the "bite" of head voice.

The second video at 2:26 is a pharyngeal scream. These pro singers that have great technique are always mixing. Having "one voice" is the goal of most every vocal plan. We call it "full voice" here. I answered as best as I can with the knowledge that I posses. If you want more scientific explanations, go to the science section and search for vocal modes and closed quotient - that should put you in a thread all about the degree of muscular activity in each of the vocal modes.

Most of the time stamps you mentioned are not middle voice/mix. They are head voice or falsetto. If it sounds airy it's falsetto, if it's not it's head voice.

Also, I invite you to dispose of the term "middle voice"...it makes no sense according to what actually happens. There is no 3rd register in the middle that we're trying to find. As far as I know there is not an ounce of scientific evidence out there that can remotely prove the exercise of a unique middle portion of the voice that has nothing to do with the lower and upper parts.

Mixed voice however, is fairly accurate to reality. It's widely accepted that we have a chest register and a head register and that with training, they can be mixed in varying degrees to allow a singer to navigate smoothly from one to the other without a flip.

You said "is this the sound I will achieve soon"?

That depends if the way you train is correct or not. I have no idea who is training you, if they are teaching good information or not and then I have no idea if you are interpreting that information properly or not.

I don't have anything against SLS but I do notice that 90% of the time people train it incorrectly.

having a seamless one full voice is the idea of any type of vocal training

This...

The examples above are all of a pushed, energetic - sometimes constricted via false vocal folds - head voice. Many of the singers listed don't seem to have much in the way of connection. There's not much sense of being 'one' voice. Especially D'Angelo is simply pushing his head voice strongly from the abdomen and constricting his false vocal folds to induce that raspy sound.