blues cover....critique please!

Rate this topic

Ok, gang....I've posted a few folky songs and have gotten a lot of good feedback, and, I appreciate all the help. The main thing I'm hearing is that I need to sing the melody more and concentrate more on phrasing...good advice, no doubt. Below is a more bluesy thing...the phrasing seems to come a little more natural to me and to my ear, at least, sounds a little better than my other attempts. The goal I'm shooting for is maybe an occasional open mic and trying to get good enough not to have tomatoes thrown at me :/

Thanks in advance!

I was hoping someone else would chime in before I posted something.

Your pitch is getting better. I am still hearing a monotone based melody instead of the melody that I am used to hearing. Whose version of the song are you basing your version on? I have only heard Jimmy Hendrix or others that are based on his version.

When someone sings a monotone melody the dynamics and energy will rely on emotional expression. A song is a story. The interest is how you tell the story. It is not just the fact that there is a red house over yonder and that is where your baby stays. It is that she is staying right right over the hill and you have not seen her for 99 and 1/2 days. That has got to be pretty disturbing to you to know she is that close and you cannot see her. That would drive me up the wall. I would either be mad or depressed or I would see the irony in the situation.

That being said, If the melody is not going to express the emotion then the tone of your voice and the inflections in the words will have to express the emotion.

Listen to Jimmy Hendrix sing this song and think about the emotion that is being expressed by the way he sings the song through each verse.

Adding emotional content to the songs will help your singing.