Rock With You (Michael Jackson)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Here's my take on MJ's classic tune. What do you think?

https://app.box.com/s/68zahvtifa6of9rgzt7p

Nick

I was totally expecting this to not be very good, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although you were a little flat in places you have good tone overall. Having said that, you do need to work on a couple of things.

First it's your slightly flat delivery, which I'm finding is pretty common as I listen to more and more covers. I believe what I'm referring to is the intonation of the lyrics and melody. Basically the "feel" of it. It's like the difference between someone delivering a line from Shakespeare completely flat or delivering it with emphasis. Or how you can tell how someone is really feeling from the tone of their voice.

Secondly, you seem to be singing your high notes through your nose. Again, this seems common among many aspiring singers. I can't give you direction on how to do it (perhaps a voice coach could) but I think you need to bring your high notes down into your chest. I think it's referred to as your "chest" voice as opposed to your "head" voice. Many people discuss these techniques here, but I'm still blind as to how to do it. I'm lucky in that I think it happens naturally for me. My other "tip" for your high notes is to give them more air. Perhaps this is how one controls their chest voice? But I've always found that when I push a note a note up into my nose I use less air. When I open up my throat and control the air with my diaphragm it seems much easier to control the note.

Hope this helps, and keep it up. You have a good base I think.

Eric

First of all , critic is easy , doing it's hard,

Your voice is very fine with the song , but there's for my taste a little equalization problem with vocals

maybe with a better equalization or some compressor work it will sound much better as a mix.

need more bright for me, but in conclusion , your vocals of this song are very good.

it's not easy sing any mJ song.

congrats! and keep going!

First it's your slightly flat delivery, which I'm finding is pretty common as I listen to more and more covers. I believe what I'm referring to is the intonation of the lyrics and melody. Basically the "feel" of it. It's like the difference between someone delivering a line from Shakespeare completely flat or delivering it with emphasis. Or how you can tell how someone is really feeling from the tone of their voice.

Always been my problem since I'm quite shy by nature…

Your voice is very fine with the song , but there's for my taste a little equalization problem with vocals

maybe with a better equalization or some compressor work it will sound much better as a mix.

I'm sure you're right! I have absolutely no clue how to mix… I just choose "male r'n'b' vocals" in garageband :lol:

Anyway, I had to remove the clip since I'm a little embarrassed I can't do better… but thank you both for your comments :)

Nick

I was sorry to see that you removed the clip. I have heard you sing before and was hoping to hear what you did with this.

We are all still on a journey in the art of singing. Do not be embarrassed by any missteps. We are here to help each other and improve.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I was sorry to see that you removed the clip. I have heard you sing before and was hoping to hear what you did with this.

We are all still on a journey in the art of singing. Do not be embarrassed by any missteps. We are here to help each other and improve.

I know MDEW... I'll post something later once I feel a little more confident :)

Nick