FINALLY, some hope that Steve Perry may reunite with Journey!!

Rate this topic

Validar

I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but this is the first time he's ever given any indication that it's even a possibility. "We're trying" seems to imply that they are at least communicating, which is a massive leap in itself. I'm not expecting prime Perry, but I just want to say I saw him live before I leave this Earth.

NOPE.

This is Perry talking about "Trying" to get his relationship with Neal on track. He will NOT be with Journey. You can bet on it. Actually, they only speak to each other through lawyers these days. There is nothing being planned with Journey and Perry. Also, I think that this is kind of his stock answer. I mean, what's he supposed to say that won't make him look like the bad guy?

One thing about Steve is that he's great in interviews. He never comes off as a bad guy.

NOPE.

This is Perry talking about "Trying" to get his relationship with Neal on track. He will NOT be with Journey. You can bet on it. Actually, they only speak to each other through lawyers these days. There is nothing being planned with Journey and Perry. Also, I think that this is kind of his stock answer. I mean, what's he supposed to say that won't make him look like the bad guy?

One thing about Steve is that he's great in interviews. He never comes off as a bad guy.

Too much stuff between them that can't be forgiven?

i'd like to think they will...time heals all (or just about all) wounds...it seemed like they were trying to reach out to each other.

i think a similar thing may happen with lou gramm and mick jones.....maybe one concert....i doubt more than that as lou stated in his book.....he's through with going on the road a lot.

sometimes it's just fan pressure...

but the truth is both arnel and kelly had some serious shoes to fill, and they both came through solidly.

What a pisser. Oh, well. At least it was Steve himself who inadvertently caused the confusion, and not yet another internet fan starting up a baseless rumor. The optimist in me wants to believe the Perry/Journey reuniting may one day happen, but the realist in me is saying time is running out.

I would have loved to have seen Lou with Foreigner, as well. I'll be seeing them March 15th with Kelly at Universal Studios. It was timed perfectly, too, because my season pass expires two days after the show....haha.

Steve is around 60 by now? Even if they got together for a one-off, it would be like the Beatles thing this weekend. There won't be a massive Journey tour. I think Billy is right, Steve says that as the polite thing, in order to let sleeping dogs lie. People will continue to want a reunion and will defiantly not shut up about it, so, it helps to say something that calms the salvage natives who are restless in the jungle tonight, or any night, or all night, all night, oh baby hold tight. She said, Any way you want it that's the way you need it ...

That just slipped in there, sorry.

brother ron, perry is 65!...i want you keep up with your trivia...lol!!!!

val, kelly hansen has really done a great job for foreigner, but i'd love to know how much of him is "having to" sound like lou, because even lou remarked in his book how he's copied so much of his phrasing...

he really has lou down, except for a certain degree of power and intensity you don't hear out of kelly to the degree lou had. he also dropped a lot of the songs down a half, which cannot blame him for in the least.

I think, Billy, I remember the last time you linked in an interview. The reason Steve will not rejoin the band is that they never liked him and only suffered having him their because the management insisted. They imagined themselves to be a harder rock band and Steve was such a crooner.

And Steve, in his own words, just wore out after touring for so long. And tried the raspy thing and wore himself out. Got some lessons and cleaned up his tone about the time people said he "lost" it. When really, he learned to sing better. Why is it that people think that rasp or rattle is the ultimate? Never mind, that was rhetorical.

Don't worry, folks. Once Journey has worn out Arnel, they will find another. After all, it's Neil's band. Just ask him.

(Oops, I think I said that out loud. My dog just look at me with that curious looks dogs get ...)

I think, Billy, I remember the last time you linked in an interview. The reason Steve will not rejoin the band is that they never liked him and only suffered having him their because the management insisted. They imagined themselves to be a harder rock band and Steve was such a crooner.

And Steve, in his own words, just wore out after touring for so long. And tried the raspy thing and wore himself out. Got some lessons and cleaned up his tone about the time people said he "lost" it. When really, he learned to sing better. Why is it that people think that rasp or rattle is the ultimate? Never mind, that was rhetorical.

Don't worry, folks. Once Journey has worn out Arnel, they will find another. After all, it's Neil's band. Just ask him.

(Oops, I think I said that out loud. My dog just look at me with that curious looks dogs get ...)

Nah, not true. Neal and Perry were totally close and did a lot together. They became good friends and they realize what each brought to the party. At FIRST they didn't want a "crooner" in there. Perry's voice, and the success he brought to Journey, changed their minds. Now, Greg Rollie may have left for that reason, but he's never said that as such.

I have my opinions on why Perry won't be back. They'd be just my opinions (based on following these guys since the 80s and reading everything about him and them). I don't really believe the hip injury story was the reason that he's not with them, but that's just me. I'm sure there was an injury, but I kind of wonder if that was just a lucky break. Essentially, the band couldn't wait for him any longer and so they moved on. Steve wouldn't commit because of whatever reason. Depending on who you hear from, it could be the hip story, it could be that his voice wasn't up to it. Nobody really knows for sure. They waited for him for YEARS. Finally, they gave him an ultimatum. Steve's never recorded (or released, rather) anything after the last split with Journey (97?).

Perry did not want them to keep the name Journey if they had another guy singing. That's understandable, but it was really Neal's band, not Steve's. Neal and Jon Cain chose to move ahead. In their minds, they'd waited long enough. So they got Steve Augeri in there. He did a pretty good job, but to my mind, never had the power of Perry. I remember seeing Augeri hitting the high B in Don't Stop Believing with pretty airy falsetto, but he did a few albums with them that're good albums. I felt his albums were better than his live shows. Some guys just can't handle that load of singing that much. I know where he's coming from for sure. In the end, he got a throat virus and, unfortunately, the band had committed to a tour with Def Leppard and they used tapes and Journey's drummer singing to get through a lot of it. They got caught using the tracks (there was a post online that kind of blew the thing wide open) and Steve A left the band. What a sad way to go. Jeff Scott Soto came in and finished the tour. Looked like he was going to be their singer (Journey announced as much) and then some stuff happened where Journey was still looking at singers after they'd committed to JSS. (at least that's what I've heard) and Jeff left, understandably. The first recordings I heard with Soto were dreadful. The last ones I heard were pretty freaking amazing. He really stepped up to the challenge of the material. He's a great singer. But, he's a baritone not a tenor. He certainly found that tenor range at the end and could've done good things with the band. There's rumors that Cain wanted a Perry soundalike in there. Neal and JSS had recorded together and seemed really tight but then it ended up with JSS leaving.

Finally, Neal found Arnel and Arnel's been in for years now. They've recorded two albums of new music and personally, I think the albums are great (thanks for asking! ;) ). I'm a big fan of Arnel. Humble, respects the gig, and is really talented. I think he's got a lot to overcome as he's got to relearn English for each tour, and he's had his share of sickness on the road with the band. But I think the guy is the best replacement for SP they could've found and, he's his own guy.

Arnel is plenty capable of doing the songs in the original keys and did so for the first year. However, Journey's tour schedule is really heavy and to help Arnel last (and not burn him out like they did with Perry and Augeri) they lowered the songs for him to lighten his load. It's a smart move on their part. It's too bad it took the band so long to learn this lesson. Perry might've still been there.

Regarding Daniel's comment about lowering songs- Journey tried that with Jeff Scott Soto too and it put the songs in a funky place for him that didn't really help him but I think made it more difficult on him. I think they only did it for a few shows (if that) and he went back to the original keys. I don't remember them doing it for Augeri.

Again, my opinion here, is that while Steve P says he wanted to sing differently and added that rasp mentioned above, I would bet that it was from the heavy tour schedule of the Escape tour that did that and not a personal decision to add rasp. After that tour, he became noticeably more raspy. Somewhere that schedule is posted and it was BRUTAL. Why would a guy with THAT voice suddenly WANT to become raspy? Even so, on the Frontiers tour he was still great- until the end when he started having some major issues. At the beginning of the tour (which I saw) he was so good and the band sounded great. By the end of that tour, the band was playing everything about twice as fast (so that Steve didn't have to hold his notes as long) and his voice was really really raspy- though I still remember him hitting most of the notes. He also really over pushed his voice during the end of that tour.

Right after that, he did his solo album, then the Raised on Radio (Journey) album and tour. On that tour, he was still good but he was cracking all over the place, which I'd never heard before. He left Journey after that tour was cut short (he was burned out), did another solo album and a tour that was cut short due to bronchitis I think. On that tour, it was the first time you heard him singing songs in a lower key (scratch that, there was also the Bill Graham memorial show where Neal, Jon Cain, and Steve did 3 songs in lower keys:

). Even though Steve was singing in lower keys, the dude just had so much soul. He was still cracking, but it was good to hear him. There are some of his solo shows on Youtube and they're pretty entertaining to watch.

After that solo tour, he pretty much vanished until in 96, he called Cain and Schon, put Journey back together, recorded Trial by Fire... and then didn't tour, the band moved on, and Perry vanished again. There was also something I read where Columbia told him they wouldn't push a solo album unless he got back together with Journey. I've not seen that article for a while but I believe that was part of the story.

He's been saying in the past few years that he's been working on stuff, but he's a MAJOR perfectionist and just doesn't want to let the stuff out. Every year there's talk of "This may be the year that he re-emerges" but it's not happened yet.

I've read recently that Arnel may be leaving Journey, but I think it's BS. Arnel has come out and said that he's super happy and Neal has come out and said that he and Arnel are really solid, which I believe. I think Neal is kind of an older brother figure for him.

And this has been your Journey minute... (er, half hour, sorry!)

billy, what about the interview where perry said he wanted to explore a more gutsy sound....why would he lie about that?

he wanted more rasp in his voice i thought.

Yeah good question- MAYBE that's true. If YOU had that voice, would you want to F it up? I think that he'd just toured so much, it roughed him up and then, rather than admit "hey, I didn't take care of my voice the way I should've" he could have just said "oh, I wanted it like that". Kind of how in Pee Wee's Big Adventure, he falls off his bike while doing tricks and then says "I meant to do that".

I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine a singer like that wanting to risk screwing his voice up.

I have other suspicions too, but that's all they are.

i remember seeing some video where he talked about wanting to go more into the darker side of his voice and dig in a little more.

wish i could find it.

Not saying he didn't say that. I just don't believe that he would do that. He seemed to be really conscious of what to and what not to do with the voice. He wasn't a slouch about that stuff at all. So the fact that he would willingly do something to mess up that voice astounds me.