Best singing I've heard in a long time

Rate this topic

jonpall

Nice to know that you and Owen have similar tastes. Let me see if I can get PowerofOne in here to comment.

You sure can Ron, I listened again just to make sure and I still haven't changed my mind despite everybody going gaga over this guy in the other thread. I just don't like it.

Doesn't make any difference for me, either. I just thought it was serendipitous that two different guys would highlight the same singer within something like 12 hours of each other. One from Sweden, one from US. Ah, the wonders of the internet ....

I think this guy does a tremendous job. Thanks for posting. This song is a favorite in our family these days - it is a fantastic song. I enjoy singing it but thought it couldn't be a "guy" song. But this guy proved me wrong.

here you have a baritone doing D#5 in curbing, the difference is really HUGE (this video was before on youtube but well, damn copyright xd go to 0:45)

http://vdownload.eu/watch/13257537-dir-en-grey-hide-memorial-summit-part-3-2008-05-04.html

i certainly don't hear that at 0:45, sure the link is right?

why do you think that? :)

if you compare it with the curbing male sample of the cvt soundlibrary, when using the 5th octave, what do you think it's different here? do you think this is more similar to the mln sample on the 5th octave?

I can't even find a sample that shows curbing in the 5th octave

The caleb hyles is curbing not mln.

Also the cvt curbing sounds just like alittle more twanged mln not like curbing in my ears.

The kyo thing is my mind not curbing it just offcenters everywhere if we are talkng cvt language.

Or as felipe calls it falsetto ;) but please please dont open that debate!

https://soundcloud.com/gerardon89/comparison

hahah, here it is, i edited it this way:

1. F5 cvt high neutral sample (effects, in the screams section)

2. F5 cvt high curbing sample (effects, in the screams section)

3. D#5 in mln by caleb hyles (the singer from the frozen cover)

4. D#5 in curbing by kyo (dir en grey's singer)

what do you think? :)

Well I personally think the CVT curbing scream sample sounds god awful, so it wouldn't matter anyways. :lol:

The samples you are calling MLN, whether they're really MLN or not, sound better to me personally.

To me, it's just a guy singing a song and he happens to have facial hair. And he is no more "fake" than any one else using whatever distortion technique to make his voice sound "meaner" or more "metal" than others. It's a style.

Unless of course, some guys has some real distortion, the kind that comes from trauma or genetic defective but then, that doesn't require training, it just is, and that's not fair.

So, I think this guy's fake style is no worse than Axl's. Or Frank Sinatra's. Besides, according to Jens, you who is likely right, we all learn our sounds by mimickry, so, we're all "faking" it.

And again, Disney takes a story inspired by our national H.C. Andersen :)

Hope you got some research from sundberg to prove that...

Edit: I found it was in titze's book, it's probably due to the subdominal pressure created under cold weather that made H.C andersen wrote stories about frozen stuff.

It's kindo cool to know that it was not imagination but very basic bodyfunction who inspired to such fantastic stories.

:)

About the interpretation. I think it's important to realize how you'll react if it was only audio? :)

The music in the background makes a big difference. If it does not match the singers interpretation it will just seem "Off" somehow. You may not even know why it doesn't sound right to you.

mdew, he means no video, only audio.

Either way, same difference. Extra context to distract from or enhance the song. To me the style of the music and the style of singing did not mix well. I know it is just my own opinion.