I "jammed" with a real band today

• TMV World Legacy Member

Met a guitarist through Band Mix and his band is looking for a vocalist to jam with and maybe do a few gigs with while their regular vocalist is on a hiatus. This is the guy who did the "Still Of The Night" cover track I used. Met the full band today but I only had an hour to hang with them. Some cool guys, all around my age or a little older. Real pros. They've hung and played with Tesla, Night Ranger, The Ramons, and others. I was a little intimidated and very nervous at first. They had the full set up in the practice space (a unit in an industrial complex that doubled as a garage for one of the guys' drag car). Full stacks, 48 channel mixer board, full monitors. It was the first time I've ever had a chance to do something like this. They asked me if I've ever sung with monitors facing me. Nope. They warned me it might be loud. It was. But I loved it. It was like having headphones on, but not. I could totally hear myself. I did "Slide It In" (Whitesnake), "Rock You Like A Hurricane" (Scorpions), "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" (Night Ranger), and "Man In The Box" (Alice In Chains). Don't Tell me and Box were really fun because by then my voice was warm and my butterflies were almost gone. They've invited me back for another session, and tonight I got a call from another local band looking for a vocalist. This band does more "Classic Rock" as opposed to "Metal". Gonna meet them on Wednesday. I'm glad I'm doing this and I'm thankful for all the advice and critique I've received here. It's helped me develop the confidence I needed to be able to try this.