Improving your voice?

Rate this topic

JckVM

Hi guys.

I decided to start singing as I've injured my wrists and have had to quit playing the drums and guitar, and I may well never be able to play them, or any other instrument again. Basically, learning to sing is my only option if I want to continue being a musician. I've been having lessons for about a month now; I can sing in tune; I have a range almost 2 octaves in chest voice (which I'm told is good for a beginner) and basically, technique-wise, I think I'm not bad for a beginner, and since I have a musical background I have a reasonable knowledge of music theory.

But, having just recorded some audio of myself singing, I've decided that I absolutely HATE my voice.

So my question is this: Is it possible to change your voice, like, literally how it sounds? Can someone with a bad voice become good, with enough practice?

I'm willing to dedicate a few hours a day to practice, and will continue paying for expensive weekly lessons with a good coach, but only if I'm actually going to sound good at some point. Otherwise it's just a waste of my time and money.

Thanks in advance

Jack

Yes and no. You will change how you sound in some ways, but the basic characteristics will probably still be there. HOWEVER, you will learn to like your voice. Part of this comes from just hearing it more and more as you record yourself and listen back and part of it comes from improving your singing.

This is how it has worked for me at least and I can tell you I absolutely HATED my voice :)

Now it's decent/good with potential :P

Jack,

Resuming the issue: its 95% about skill, musicianship and performance. And yes you can do a very good job even if you have an ugly and weird timbre (which probably is not the reason why you are hating it in the first place).

Instead of changing/hating/fighting your voice, control it, you will probably be surprised.

Good Luck!

I started out just like you and it has been the best journey o my life. I hated my voice at start, now i sound like ive always wanted towich is the best feeling in this world.

My biggest reccomendation is get a good coach, a really good coach. There are three guys here on the forum whom i wish i had met earlyer in life as they are kickass coaches.

Robert Lunte the owner of this forum

Daniel formica proffesional singer/coach

Felipe Carvalho Starcraft 2 player, who also answered in this thread.

All of these guys has great exercises and can easily take you to the next level and beyond. Other than that sing alot of songs and invest in a singingprogram for instance the four pillars wich is very good.

So talk to felipe or some of the other guys and let them start you up into becoming an epic singer!

Cheers bro

Cheers

Yes and no. You will change how you sound in some ways, but the basic characteristics will probably still be there. HOWEVER, you will learn to like your voice. Part of this comes from just hearing it more and more as you record yourself and listen back and part of it comes from improving your singing.

This is how it has worked for me at least and I can tell you I absolutely HATED my voice :)

Now it's decent/good with potential :P

Same goes for me, i think its normal, for quite some time i didnt like my voice, to the extend i was thinking to quit. Now there are sometimes that when i hear my recording there are spots that i actually like and besides my ego i believe they could sound nice to others too.

Its about getting used to listen to your voice and what Fellipe said.

Most people do not like the sound of their voice when first learning to sing. There are certain "Qualities" to the voice that makes it more appealing. Even if a voice now sounds Dull and Unatractive these qualities can be enhanced through training. The general sound may not change but these qualities will make it sound richer, fuller and more appealing.

These qualities are more of a tone undernieth the sound than a change in the perceived sound.

jack,

how bad do you really want it?

a big (huge) component in all of this is your mind and your attitude. you have to really want it.

you have to make it happen.

your voice listens to your mind...and if you tell your mind it could be a complete waste of time, the voice will agree with you....

feed your mind with positive thoughts...trust me, the voice will listen.

Just want to throw in an alternate possibility to consider...if what you really want more badly is to play guitar and drums again and you can think creatively to figure out a way to take action toward that desire, you WILL find a way despite the injuries. Perhaps through visualization you could get yourself to heal quickly, or maybe you'll figure out a new way to play the instruments. I mean, if this guy can do this:

Then what's stopping you?

At the end of the day, do what you want, no matter what obstacles come along.

But I don't want to discourage you from trying singing either. You may be surprised and find that once you get good at it, it brings you as much joy as the other instruments. But if after some time singing you continue to wish and wish and wish that you could play drums and guitar again, I invite you to not neglect that wish. Don't lose hope, go take action toward it if it's really want you want. That is all I wanted to add.

Just want to throw in an alternate possibility to consider...if what you really want more badly is to play guitar and drums again and you can think creatively to figure out a way to take action toward that desire, you WILL find a way despite the injuries. Perhaps through visualization you could get yourself to heal quickly, or maybe you'll figure out a new way to play the instruments. I mean, if this guy can do this:

Then what's stopping you?

At the end of the day, do what you want, no matter what obstacles come along.

But I don't want to discourage you from trying singing either. You may be surprised and find that once you get good at it, it brings you as much joy as the other instruments. But if after some time singing you continue to wish and wish and wish that you could play drums and guitar again, I invite you to not neglect that wish. Don't lose hope, go take action toward it if it's really want you want. That is all I wanted to add.

Fantastic post. Again we don't know the injuries. But where there is a will there is a way. That includes improving your singing abilities. Which ever way you go ROCK ON! :)