Singers Die Early!?

Rate this topic

Hey all,

This article scared the ST out of me!!! It essentially states that since as singers we use more oxygen... we die quicker. Unless heavy emphasis is placed on breath control and increasing increasing O2 within the body. The guy even uses examples of artists we know and love.

Please take a thorough read people! Although the writer may not have all his facts... some of this makes sense. Singing = ABNORMAL breathing patterns. Unless we find a way to counteract the depletion of O2 in the body then it inevitably creates all types of problems that the singer does not even notice. Why? Because we are too busy singing ;)

Would love your thought on this! Also.. some possible solutions.

http://www.normalbreathing.com/s/singers-die-early.php

- JayMC

I don't know if this stuff is true or not, I didn't read the entire article cause honestly I can't be bothered with it.

Anyone can die any given minute from a million different reasons, that's just how this game called "Life" is played.

I can tell you this much, I rather sing my butt off, enjoy myself and not worry about when I die, rather than stay quiet, sing less, be afraid and deprive myself of singing trying to prolong my life. Sing away!

When I first saw the thread title, I thought, "cool, depending which singer and what day it is." :lol:

Then I actually read it. What a load of manure. For one thing, Tupac did not die from oxygen poisoning or lack of oxygen. He died from an assassin's bullet. Others that died from drug use or symptoms related to drug abuse or substance abuse.

I agree, this kind of nonsense is similar to saying that Nike makes you fit and healthy.

Stress would kill a touring singer before oxygen deprivation. Of course the stress could lead to drug abuse. Also all of the people trying to get you to like them giving you drugs. Not to mention the other jealous singers trying to get rid of you so they can have their 15 minutes. Jealous boyfriends, girlfriendsand such.

Managers and producers pushing you beyond your limits.........

I Love being a musician.........:lol:

The article is complete bogus. The moment I knew this for certain is when the author just assumed that composers have the same amount of stress and singers and are led to become addicted to drugs, but the composers live longer therefore there must be another issue.

Comparing composers and singers is comparing apples and oranges. Yes they both experience a lot of stress but where that stress originates, and their lifestyle, audience, expectations, etc. are way different from each other.

Personally? All other factors equal, I think singing makes you live longer. I can't see any logic that would explain otherwise. Every time you sing difficult material you give your respiration system a WORKOUT, and like any good workout, you wear yourself short-term but that builds yourself up long-term.

Also most singers are lead performers and move their body a LOT. So that's a workout on top of a workout.

And in the cases of working out fundamental systems of the body such as the brain, heart, and lungs, (singing and performing works ALL of those!), time and time again we see those kinds of workouts add years on to our lives. They increase the power, efficiency, longevity, endurance, and reliability of those systems. And the result is, it takes a long time before you encounter disease or often if you do you'd be able to fight it off quickly.

So anyways, don't trust internet journalism, Jay. These folks make a living writing articles to be controversial, whether or not they hold factual truth. This is more of an opinion article disguised as being scientific when it really isn't.

This is ridiculous. My thoughts on the matter would be that

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Hey all,

This article scared the ST out of me!!! It essentially states that since as singers we use more oxygen... we die quicker. Unless heavy emphasis is placed on breath control and increasing increasing O2 within the body. The guy even uses examples of artists we know and love.

Please take a thorough read people! Although the writer may not have all his facts... some of this makes sense. Singing = ABNORMAL breathing patterns. Unless we find a way to counteract the depletion of O2 in the body then it inevitably creates all types of problems that the singer does not even notice. Why? Because we are too busy singing ;)

JayMC: IMO, the text of the web page is a fear-based sales pitch, and only worthy of being ignored. Don't give it another thought.

He has videos on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/artour2006

Does this mean from time to time we should be holding our breath to increase CO2? to help relax muscles etc?

The increase in CO2 is responsible for relaxing the smooth muscle that lines the bowel, and is also the reason why the breathing technique helps asthma (relaxes smooth muscle of airways) and high blood pressure (relaxes smooth muscle of blood vessels)

A lifelong friend of mine, a singing drummer with a very powerful voice and style has to get his lungs tested once a year due to his line of work. His last test showed him having the lung capacity of a 92 yo man! After speaking with the technician and a little research he determined that the test was based on the initial blast of air and not how long he can support a steady stream of air.

one real danger that could be an issue is if you were to "incorrectly" lock down or as some call "constipate" for a powerful high note....

you have to keep the strain localized below and not allow the strain and the intense air pressure to come up to the glottis and head.

this can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure or can even cause an brain aneurysm (in some cases).

same with if you're constipated and you don't localize the strain to the diaphragm and related muscles, and instead allow the pressure to transfer into the head..you can get into trouble. the doctor once told me to be very mindful of the fact.