let's discuss the lift

Rate this topic

VideoHere

"the common thing is that we all tend to have the voice more pressed/heavy and more 'bottom to top' at the beginning of the day."

this (above) is not correct....you will pull chest when the vibrating mass (the folds) are not allowed to thin. you cannot pull chest if you reduce the vibrating mass and that is accomplished by the vowel (throat shape).

the vowel is critical to that process.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting benny! what's your source to read further about this topic? :)

I don't really have any, it's my personal experience. Don't change too much during a single excercise. In CVT the different modes are different setups of the vocal tract. They have a nice "research" section now on their page where you can learn about that.

In my experience it works better if you stay on one sound (mode, vowel) and increase/descrease loudness or you stay on one loudness (as far as possible) and change the mode/vowel.

The "...like-neutral" modes are a good start for this because the difference between Overdrive-like neutral and Overdrive is really just loudness (and the physiological actions that come with it), the vocal tract setup and vowel is very similar.

could you describe the connection between this tension and the excessive adduction (that produces the activation of constrictors/pulling chest) ?

Geran, I can see that I wasn't clear in my earlier statement. The tension (pitch regulation) is related to pitch (TA and CT) the excessive adduction is related to the adductor muscles LCA and IA. :)

Martin,

Thats not the point, but since you brought it up... actually, technically, yes. :)

I would even extend it in an aware guess to breathy and low volume soft voice singing use by untrainned individuals on pop, but I never saw data on that. Quite sure there will be TA activity.

And thats the real problem of thinking about registration as a muscular ballance result. TA changes pitch, timbre and is part of the adduction coordination. Depending on the registration its effect on pitch varies, ranging from positive to negative influence. Depending on the vocal tract conformity all the tensions and even the intensity of emission will vary.

So it does not work.

Its not mass, and its not adduction either. You simply are using a quality that is easy to perceive, it does not mean that this quality is the more relevant on the overall perceived quality.

Simple example, chest and head voice. Everyone seems to believe that on the passage closed quotient is reduced. When what really happens it is the exact opposite. Adduction increases, but it still is a passage to a lighter registration.

I just read something on this in a blog. Yeah, I know, I am just learning......... The benifits of training Falsetto...Real falsetto where there is NO TA involvement and NO airiness is to help train correct adduction.

:/ ;)