So, like, Pop Rock?

Rate this topic

That's good stuff right there. Good vocals, good mix, good song. One question. When you do videos like this, are they "live" vocals, or do you sync with a prerecorded track? I assume it's a prerecorded track because you have the backing vocals and effects in place. I ask because I'd like to do a performance video, but I already have several songs recorded.

That's good stuff right there. Good vocals, good mix, good song. One question. When you do videos like this, are they "live" vocals, or do you sync with a prerecorded track? I assume it's a prerecorded track because you have the backing vocals and effects in place. I ask because I'd like to do a performance video, but I already have several songs recorded.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to listen mate :>

I just sing with the song and mute the webcam sound, so that's how I look whenever I sing anyway :P More fun than having a boring black video with lyrics on top :P It would of course be tremendously cooler if you do it as a live performance, but personally, I think it's cool to see the person behind the music, regardless of it being pre-recorded :P

This song is simple and straight forward, so it could have easily been done "live", but most things I do nowadays won't do well in a live setting since I love stacking harmonies and blend overs as so there's no single "lead melody" :>

Cool. I think I'll try a "video" of one of my songs as well. I was thinking that this would be the way I would want to try to do one. Thanks :)

btw, I also like the harmonies in the tune you did. Do you sing all of the harmonies as well?

Sweet! Be sure to keep us posted :D

Yeah, I did all the harmonies. One important thing I learned from a good friend (who's an incredible musician and producer) is to ALWAYS dub harmonies, and to do it manually. Panning dubbed harmonies = auto-win :>

Sweet! Be sure to keep us posted :D

Yeah, I did all the harmonies. One important thing I learned from a good friend (who's an incredible musician and producer) is to ALWAYS dub harmonies, and to do it manually. Panning dubbed harmonies = auto-win :>

Can you explain that in a little more detail? Layman's terms please, as I'm pretty new at mixing.

Can you explain that in a little more detail? Layman's terms please, as I'm pretty new at mixing.

As you would for a mighty chorus, you double the vocal line - you sing it identically (as close as is possible that is) so you basically have two lead tracks - the magic is that the tiny discrepancies between them makes the vocal line fatter. This is also good practice for learning how to control the voice and providing unyielding consistency at will.

With harmonies (low harmonies I sometimes skip doubling since they can be a bit blurry as is), it gives an epic and surrounding feel by having them panned 60-80% left and right (while also having them partially centered in the mix). Make use of stereo :>

EDIT: Listen to this, particularly the harmonies in the verse - keep in mind; I can't mix at all, so if something sounds good, I WILL slaughter it in the mix, but, the point is, can you tell that -every- line except the whistling is doubled?

https://soundcloud.com/archdementh/parkeraettb-ver

(ignore the final chorus, more sour notes than clean ones -_-;)

I quite liked it, Pat. Several influences in here. Some parts make me think of Bryan Adams, parts of Justin Timberlake, especially on the backing vocals. Post-industrial and prog metal arrangement, an unholy marriage that will produce the spawn of Satan, no doubt.

Well done. And this is your true strength, writing originals. Nothing wrong with others doing covers, for that is their strength. And you could do some covers, but do them like this, the Snejk way.

Just had an idea for an album title, and a play on words from a movie - "Snejk on a Plane."

I'm too funny, I should stop, now ....

I quite liked it, Pat. Several influences in here. Some parts make me think of Bryan Adams, parts of Justin Timberlake, especially on the backing vocals. Post-industrial and prog metal arrangement, an unholy marriage that will produce the spawn of Satan, no doubt.

Well done. And this is your true strength, writing originals. Nothing wrong with others doing covers, for that is their strength. And you could do some covers, but do them like this, the Snejk way.

Just had an idea for an album title, and a play on words from a movie - "Snejk on a Plane."

I'm too funny, I should stop, now ....

Hah, that was the driest pun ever xD Most non-Swedes pronounces Snejk as "snedgk". Always makes me smile :P

That's quite an analysis :P I love Bryan Adams (or, well, the two songs I've heard from him xD). No idea how Timberlake sounds though, I think he's a part of The Lonely Island?

I like doing covers so long as I can make them "mine", adding and changing stuff (usually fans call it "butchering" ;)), but I prefer originals way more :D Going to cover Bridge Over Troubled Water as soon as I can muster some energy, always wanted to do that one.

Thanks, Pat. I speak German. I notice most nordic languages pronounce the letter j as kind of a 'y' sound. So, at the beginning of a word like juno, it would be yuno. In a word like snejk, it would be silent, like it is in the englush word, stay. Though americans like to dipthong and might pronounce it as steh-ee.

Spanish has a difference. J at the beginning is like h except for some words, like the months of the year. June becomes yun-ee, July becomes jul-ee, phonetically.

Thanks, Pat. I speak German. I notice most nordic languages pronounce the letter j as kind of a 'y' sound. So, at the beginning of a word like juno, it would be yuno. In a word like snejk, it would be silent, like it is in the englush word, stay. Though americans like to dipthong and might pronounce it as steh-ee.

Spanish has a difference. J at the beginning is like h except for some words, like the months of the year. June becomes yun-ee, July becomes jul-ee, phonetically.

I've always been curious about that, are you fluent in German? You mention "gosenfrabe" sometimes and consitently perplexed by that which I am unable to fathom, I sometimes ponder the question; "who is this Gosenfrabe, and more importantly, where did his legend begin?". Oh Mr Gosenfrabe, a man so mythical, shrouded in the mist of a man's mind - never far away, but always out of grasp.. *sighs*... Oh well, that's enough retarded nonsense from me, however I do find your keen sense of picking up the subtleties in languages fascinating. Not a common trait in the States from my experience.

Our months have some vague similaries then; Jah-nu-A-rih, JU-nih, deh-CEM-behr etc.

goosenfrabe is a nonsensical word I got from Jack Nicholson in the movie, "Anger Management." It's the word you use to calm yourself. But I like the way it sounds from Jack, so I use it to describe everything, like a redneck who puts ketchup on everything.

Yes, that was JT with the Lonely Island crew. They did *&%) in a box skit. And some others. Lonely Island has now drafted another fine singer into their folds. Lord Boltron, of course, (Michael Bolton.)

Depends on how you describe fluent. It's been more than two decades since I really studied it hard or needed it. Ich habe zwei Jahren in Hoch Schule studiert. Und zwei Jahren zu Hause Deutsch studiert. Aber brauche Ich nicht so muss hier, in Texas. I can read and write it, speak, understand some of it from a native speaker.

If my secret agent life dropped me in the middle of Austria or Germany, I could survive. I might sound like the town idiot but I can speak it clearly enough to be understood.

"Ein bier unde wurstbrot, bitte." - that's all I need. :cool:

"Du, du, liebst mir im Herzen.

Du, du, liebst mir im Sinn.

Du, du, macht mir viel Schmertzen.

Wei nicht wie gut is dir bin.

Ja, ja, ja, ja .....

Wei nicht wie gut is dir bin.

"