New user , How do you sing louder than spoken volume ?

Rate this topic

Batsinthebelltower

Hi guys

Title says it all - I am new to singing and posted my first song in the "critique" section - hopefully youre not too critical lol !

How do i get that louder open singing sound , as opposed to just spoken word level ? I find that i am half singing half speaking ... I am thinking it is a combination of learning technique and getting past the apprehension of opening up... I can write good songs but have never been able to put vocals to them .

I recently discovered a finnish singer Ari Koivunen , who has a HUGE voice - Id really be able to project my voice like him ! In the video they just seem to have infinite air flow , and sing so loud without shouting ... The second video is when he was a kid on finish pop idol , but he still has that huge projection ...

Any advice would be great !

Try this: Sing a sustained long note, very long, starting very soft and then very gradually increase the volume until you are as loud as you can be. Try your best not to tense your throat too much when you do this. Imagine (that can be very helpful) that your voice is actually growing inside of you while your body is one big resonator - as opposed to PUSHING the sound out. You LET it out instead. That's a start. Now, do this on various pitches. Next, record it and post it here so we can give you more pointers. Cheers and have a nice day.

For louder than speaking voice in singing: Think back to a time when you were being accused of something or scolded for something that you did not do. More likely than not you stood your ground and said something like "I DID NOT DO THAT!" IN that instance you had "Support and "Cord closure" that helped those words be strong and loud. These are two things that help you sing. Even a soft, gentle song needs these two things.

i would like to add by saying that singing loud (better said,resonant) and powerfully begins at the mind...

intent to.....then understanding what produces a loud tone...what components make it up....

and to be efficiently (that's my new word lately) efficiently resonant. nothing is more natural than a baby crying.

Try this:

1. Find an instrumental or karaoke version of a song you like

2. Try to put yourself in a situation you can be loud with no one nearby hearing you (so any self-consciousness will be erased). Best case scenario: large room, no one else in the same building, doors closed.

3. Crank up the instrumental track on a stereo (or headphones), to a fairly loud volume, NOT uncomfortably loud/hurting your ears, but louder than you would normally listen to music. More like the volume you'd hear a good DJ playing music at a dance.

4. Stand up straight and face the opposite wall. Sing along. Don't use a mic.

5. DO NOT SING AIRY. If you don't know how to remove the airiness, don't even try this, see a coach immediately who can teach you cord closure. You will never be able to sing loudly in a healthy manner if you are letting lots of excess air escape without converting it into sound. The airiness needs to be sorted out first, especially if it doesn't do so naturally as a result of the increased volume.

Anyways, you should find that merely the excitement of loud music and the challenge to compete with the volume vocally with no amplification, will force your voice to find a more shout-like configuration that is a rough foundation of belting, or singing louder than you speak.

It's important to note that this is a rough starting point, you will be basically shouting on pitch for now. This is mostly just to unleash confidence and get you familiar with how it feels to produce notes that loudly. But that's a big first step.

Don't do it for too long, because more than likely your technique will still have problems and because you are singing much louder your voice is more likely to wear out quicker. If you are starting to feel hoarse, stop singing, take a break. If you're still hoarse after the break, you're done for the day.

Can you sing the pitches you want without trying to be loud? If yes than you are truly ahead of most singers. Work with that sing more and in time the voice will grow. Think of it like any other sport. You can throw a baseball but if you keep practicing and growing it goes further and further. Good luck have fun