Hard Rock - original song

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey!

Please critique my singing, guitar playing and songwriting. I started to sing one year ago. Any good advice, tips, comments are welcome. Thanks in advance :).

https://soundcloud.com/herman-the-red/lost-in-time-fragment-track-1

Great guitar tone, You sound like you need a better mic and maybe better pop filter.....( you can make your own with a wire hanger and some nylons lol) I would also liked to have heard a little more verb, or at least a spot of delay on the vocals as i thought they were a little dry.

i feel your holding yourself back a bit, not fully letting go, I can hear a lot of potential in Your singing, just gotta let it out :)

www.soundclick.com/chavie

Thanks Chavie,

It was very helpful. Your right I have an SM57 and no pop filter. It's hard to let it out because I'm living in a flat. Although I know that my voice is still somehow restricted. I'm also a bit anxious every time I'm recording. It's not natural yet, I think my larynx goes up sometimes.

Hi Herman.

First of all, tasty ideas, love this style man...

About the voice... In one side its cool because its overall relaxed and not forced, but do you notice how what you are doing does not match what is going on in the song?

You are singing on a more mellow quality, legatto, not so locked on the beat (kind of what we do to sing a ballad or other styles of rock). I would focus on defining the vowels more, think of saying them more clearly, closer to your spoken voice, and get really tight with the beat on your attacks.

About attacks, thats where 95% of the power comes from...

If you attack slowly, gradually increasing intensity, the phrase may sound strong, but it will not have what you need here. If you on the other hand manage to attack the sound right on the intensity you need, it will sound hard and powerful, no matter if you are not louder than in a conversation level.

The idea is to try to use more attacks like this, tight with the drums and the bass guitar. Try to follow the groove of the song, its quite tight and I think you will be able to get a better result.

GL!

I think Felipe has a good point. Even though the vocal melody line has a balladic sense, the music is punchy. So, the singing should be a little more punchy. By making it punchy, it may fit better.

Love the drums. I would say, from an overall mixing standpoint, mix stuff in relation to the drums.

Thanks a lot Batsinthebelltower! I'd like to listen to your music too. This is just a demo guitar sound, I have much better settings but need to buy a more efficient computer first. We will definitely get there!

Thanks a lot gruemanticus! I'll keep working on the voice. I'm really happy that you liked the voice, there might be hope :)

Nice clean voice. You should maybe lock onto the beat more, you sound a little disconnected at times.

It does sound to me like you are taking it easy, and maybe reading the words from paper. Learn the song, and go for it!

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I have done that before, and the guys here spotted it, like I could with you.

It definitely comes through as diminished confidence and attack.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

I loved the drums, especially the bass, and the guitars were also very nice. Good choice to get an sm57 instead of the sm58, it lacks a popfilter but has better performance. Also try to stop the air as far from the capsule as possible because it may still pick the sound of the popfilter. The vocals lack some power i think and if they were better recorded it would sound like a finished song. I would rise the pitch about 3-4 semitones and the beat by 10-15 bpm and make it "epic/power" style. Very nice composition! I couldnt figure the lyrics though.

Thank you :) I've been working on it for quite awhile but there is still a lot to improve. Guitar is tuned down to D because I couldn't sing higher. The tempo is 190bpm and it wasn't supposed to be epic/power just faster heavy rock with anti war lyric. Perhaps I could raise it to 200bpm but some parts may become hard to play. The vocals definitely lack power. I have 8 songs so far for this new material. Most are mid tempo. Thanks for the tips. Do you play any instruments?