Journey's Faithfully

Rate this topic

Good range and tone overall. You were more than a bit flat throughout the song, however. Nice range at the end, but you may want to practice giving those ending high notes a little more power. Your voice is very good. I'm not sure what genre you usually like to sing, but I think your style of voice is very well suited to Country ballads. This version of Faithfully had a definitive "country' feel to it. I'm not sure if that's what you're going for , but I liked it.

Eric

Thanks for the replies guys... i was actually going for a lighter tone this song, I'm usually a hard rock guy.

This still needs a lot of work, but I've learned so much singing Steve perry.

Also i just remixed this, as the last one i posted was missing the reverb and delays for some reason.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12694175

I listened to the second file. I could not hear flat notes. What I heard was a more spread tone than the original. I think your pitch was good, the intonation was different, that's all. I liked it. I also noticed that the vocal was mixed a bit mellow. Not as present or as bright as other stuff you have done. Like you are singing in a room full of heavy curtains. Which means you were putting out good volume.

I, too, think you are most awesome on ballads. Or, maybe, I just like ballads and enjoy voices that can do them.

Anyone else have any comments or criticism

Ive been working really hard with singing lighter, id appreciate any help at all.

Evidently not.

You asking people to find things wrong with what you did. Have you ever considered that just this once, you did nothing wrong? Do you have the strength to accept success?

Granted, someone my try to find something wrong because this is the review and critique section and it might be supposed that you need something fixed just because it is posted here.

Or, you sound different enough from any of the singers of Journey and no one is interested in comparing, except to the original. I am not saying that is a bad thing. I do it, as well, at times.

The kiss of death, "good job." Chavie, the great singer, I guess it stinks to be you, huh? :lol: \m/

I've actually had quite a bit of negative reactions on other websites i go to.

There reasons were cryptic at best...mostly not liking my voice or how i sang the beginning sections.

I'm just trying too figure out how i could make it sound better.

I can go lighter than this, but its not as "covered" sounding and a bit feminine(to my ears anyway)

Too be honest i really hate the sound of my own voice on most of the stuff ive recorded

but the one time i thought i did an ok job people give me a lot of negative feedback lol.... oh well

As always man appreciate your feedback :)

^

Actually, I understand more than you might know, Chavie. The exact same thing has happened to me. Do a song where I thought I did well and get ripped a good one. And there are times when I listen to my own covers, though technically proficient and even I miss the sound of the original singer.

But notice that the critiques from other places were aesthetic. You used "blue" instead of "orange," and on and on.

I don't know that you "need" to go lighter on this. You could and it would be an artistic exercise. You have the basic needs met, already. Pitch acuracy, feeling or empathy for the song. You sing it like you mean it. The rest is endless minutae suitable for debate but not necessarily leading to singing success or even satisfaction of others' artistic criteria. Verily I say unto thee, you could do exactly as directed by others, and a whole new crop of "others" would arise to say that you did wrong, if nothing more than to be in opposition of those who advised you. Because it is often a personality struggle, rather than actual appreciation of singing.

Look at one or two of the people, including myself, who thought it was foolish for Michael Bolton to put out an album of arias. Well, his album spent SIX CONSECUTIVE WEEKS AT #1 on the classical charts. Was I shouting there?

You did alright and now, you must live with it. This means ignoring your own view of your voice based on the objective judgement I can offer. And that is harder to do than 40,000 scales.

Hi Charlie.

I actually think you are quite close to the original interpretation, which is great.

However you are doing a few things that work against you. Two specifically, you are attacking the verses with a glissando, a scoop. For example on haaaaAH way run, and ciiiiiIIIIrcus life (you begin on a lower pitch and bring it up). Focus as much as you can on attacking the note right on its head, not bellow, not above.

And also, timming. There are key spots that you are attacking on the upbeat, and that also works against you. A simple example: Right on the beginning, highway RUN. In there, if you take care so that the phrasing makes RUN sits right on the beat with the keys, it will sound killer. On the next phrase on the same idea, "Restless HEART" same problem happens.

You do however make it precisely on "Circus LIFE" and "Through space and TIME".

These two things do not require anything that you are not doing already on your voice, and I think will improve the quality a lot.

I, personaly, notice that its just my taste, also did not like the super high note on the ending, but its a matter of choice. The rest of the higher section is killer as it is.

I hope it helps man.

GL!

Fantastic Chavie! As Felipe said the interpretation was very close to the original. I think your voice on this sounded awesome. Steve had more of a piercing sound but that is also why some would call it nasal. It is just more subjective opinion but your voice on this was smooth and Velvety. O.K. maybe a better word would be "Covered". ;)

Anyway I liked it.

Fantastic Chavie! As Felipe said the interpretation was very close to the original. I think your voice on this sounded awesome. Steve had more of a piercing sound but that is also why some would call it nasal. It is just more subjective opinion but your voice on this was smooth and Velvety. O.K. maybe a better word would be "Covered". ;)

Anyway I liked it.

Actually, the last person to notice that Steve Perry was noticably nasal was flamed instantly by a number of the regulars, here. And rather than stay to arise the ire of experts, he deleted his own posts and requested that his account be changed to "guest," with no posting privileges. I can't blame him. He is actually really busy taking lessons from a legitimate opera singing coach. There's only so much time in the day.

Actually, the last person to notice that Steve Perry was noticably nasal was flamed instantly by a number of the regulars, here. And rather than stay to arise the ire of experts, he deleted his own posts and requested that his account be changed to "guest," with no posting privileges. I can't blame him. He is actually really busy taking lessons from a legitimate opera singing coach. There's only so much time in the day.

I miss him too. I learned quite a bit from those discussions. :|

I did not mean to compare or bring up old wounds.

Only to state that Chavie has a Different sound than Steve yet his voice fits the song perfectly. No need to change it.

Hi Charlie.

I actually think you are quite close to the original interpretation, which is great.

However you are doing a few things that work against you. Two specifically, you are attacking the verses with a glissando, a scoop. For example on haaaaAH way run, and ciiiiiIIIIrcus life (you begin on a lower pitch and bring it up). Focus as much as you can on attacking the note right on its head, not bellow, not above.

And also, timming. There are key spots that you are attacking on the upbeat, and that also works against you. A simple example: Right on the beginning, highway RUN. In there, if you take care so that the phrasing makes RUN sits right on the beat with the keys, it will sound killer. On the next phrase on the same idea, "Restless HEART" same problem happens.

You do however make it precisely on "Circus LIFE" and "Through space and TIME".

These two things do not require anything that you are not doing already on your voice, and I think will improve the quality a lot.

I, personaly, notice that its just my taste, also did not like the super high note on the ending, but its a matter of choice. The rest of the higher section is killer as it is.

I hope it helps man.

GL!

Thank you so much man!! This helps a lot !!!!

Anyway I liked it.

I picked up "Covered" from a Pavarotti interview lol, i think its a good description of that kinda sound.

I actually disagree that it was pitchy or, certainly not throughout the song. The pitch was quite good. I also disagree that the scooping up to notes was bad. Chavie only did it a couple of times which just colors the song and doesn't seem to be a bad habit of his. I just really liked it and I don't think you need to change anything, really. Just enjoy singing, keep enjoying it and see where it takes you. Have a nice day :)