Hi! Critique and/or song suggestions?

Rate this topic

I've been singing songs and uploading them to youtube for several years, (since I was 19, I'm 26 now) but I don't have any formal vocal training.

Here's the most recent one:

Any tips, or suggestions of things I can work on would be great!!

I would also really REALLY appreciate it if anyone can think of songs they think would fit my voice. I tend to sound suck-y when trying to sing more popular pop songs.... stuck in disney princess mode help!! But I'd love suggestions for songs from any genre, as long as you think it'd fit my voice.

I haven't heard the original, but I really like this! It started off a little rocky, but once you got into the groove, it started sounding really good! If I had any piece of constructive criticism, it would be that it sounds a little nasally sometimes. I almost wonder if you're not fully using your diaphragm?

You sound like a soprano, maybe mezzo-soprano? I'm not sure if these fit your style, but my two favorite artists who (might) be in your range are Björk (on the very high end of the soprano range) and Corinne Bailey Rae. A little deeper is Melody Gardot, but her style is glorious. I've linked a few songs that might work with your voice from each artist. Hope this helps some.

- Björk, "Jóga"

- Björk, "I See Who You Are"

- Corinne Bailey Rae, "Like a Star"

- Corinne Bailey Rae, "Trouble Sleeping"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmcxvDCo_PA

- Melody Gardot, "Baby I'm a Fool"

- Portishead, "Roads"