Linkin Park Numb cover needs critique

Rate this topic

You need A LOT of work my dude. First of all, you need to search "The basics of singing" on google and start learning how to lip trill. Lip trills are a great way to strengthen your vocal cords and a great warm up and breath control. Don't worry if it takes you a few weeks to really get it down. I can't stress enough to learn how to resonate and proper tongue position. I myself still have trouble singing so don't worry but this is my advice you can take it or not.

Just because you like rock or heavy metal doesn't mean your voice is suited for it. A good artist and singer tries different styles and artists to try and see where your range is (Tenor, Contralto, Baritone, etc.?) and what feels most comfy and what makes your true sound really express itself. Now this all takes months and years of dedication but I promise if you love singing it never gets boring. I wish you luck on your journey and in a couple of weeks after learning more please keep us updated! You won't sound great in a month or even a year because it takes years. You can even listen to me if you want, I don't sound great but I sing different styles and genre's.

P.S. lower the music and sing closer to the Mic.

yeah i agree with cayden, rather than bothering whether you're baritone or tenor i guess you should start from the very basic of singing. it took me like 2 years learning from youtube videos to sing, erm im not saying im good now, but im sure i've improved a lot by learning the basics. focus on breath support, bubbling / tounge trills . singing with the right note (i mean in tune with the music), and your pronunciation. I guess you are asian like me, so i understand its really hard to sound right when singing english songs xD

Here's the big thing that immediately struck me in this cover. You are reading prose (the lyrics.) Quit reading them and sing them. The singing voice is a musical instrument, just like a guitar or piano. Do not approach this the way that you would speak whatever native language you have. Do not approach this the way that you would speak English. Treat this like a melody. For the lyric melody is placed by the other instruments. This is one of LP's more anthemic songs. A simple melody that is matching the instruments, and vice versa, as well as some counterpoint for depth.

You are singing in the wrong key the entire time dude.

I would recommend not trying to continue exclusively self-teaching or learning from youtube vids or a forum, because with where you're at now, with that approach your progress will be too slow and it will probably take years before you become a good singer. If you're passionate about this you'll want to invest in proper training to speed up your progress so at the very least you can sort out the basics as fast as possible and get to a point where you can sing to people and they'll enjoy it and you can enjoy it. I highly recommend taking some skype lessons with Phil Moufarrege (he's the most bang-for-the-buck vocal coach available) and he'll help you sort out these issues probably as fast as humanly possible so you can learn your fundamentals and get singing...check this out