May 2015 Challenge - 'Highway Star' by Deep Purple

Rate this topic

I think it is very intriguing. We should all be forced to learn a foreign language song at least once and pronounce everything wrong. :D

I gave Por Volare Ti a shot a while ago, but butchered the Italian of course. I'd like to learn it for real.

I would advise removing death metal Just because a beginner can make some serious dmg trying to sing those heavy growls and distortion.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Although, one thing with this challenge is you're not supposed to purposely try to sing it like the genre the song is from. That's up to the interpretation of whoever is singing. I'll leave it up for now just in case other people out there want to do pop interpretations of metal songs about killing and all that good stuff :lol:

If a couple other people agree though, I'll take it down.

I do have one opera song. I made a spanish (as in tex-mex spanish) version of "O Sole Mio" but I changed the lyrics to something profane but humurous. And I could sing it in spanish and english. In fact, it sounds better in spanish.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Although, one thing with this challenge is you're not supposed to purposely try to sing it like the genre the song is from. That's up to the interpretation of whoever is singing. I'll leave it up for now just in case other people out there want to do pop interpretations of metal songs about killing and all that good stuff :lol:

If a couple other people agree though, I'll take it down.

I'm on the fence on that one. It sounds fun, maybe if it was specifically recommended to not force distortion and do another take if it's not something you can do healthily, but it does tend to be one of the vocal techniques that people would be most prone to forcing.

I'm on the fence on that one. It sounds fun, maybe if it was specifically recommended to not force distortion and do another take if it's not something you can do healthily, but it does tend to be one of the vocal techniques that people would be most prone to forcing.

I put a glaring warning up by the Metal section. Just trying not to alienate anyone who might want that.

I would vote for blues or rock but im down for anything.

Cool. We should probably get to voting, because May is coming soon. I'm actually interested in trying Country or Rock, but I'm going to go with Rock. If that genre gets enough votes to be chosen, my vote would be for the Hard Rock sub-genre. Let me know exactly which one it is you want, Elvis, so I can put your vote down.

Rock: 1

We're running short on time, so lets hold the voting for 3 days and have the song chosen by May 2nd, so we can start.

Hard Rock sounds good to me.   It would be cool to get some tips along the way for those out of their element. Even if you choose to reinterpret the song give a rundown on why chose a particular effect. :)