Most Seamless Singer (All Time)

Rate this topic

Hey all, I do believe there is a lack of role-models with beautiful tone, ease of production, and control.

Regardless of style, one could argue that good technique has a lot if similarities. For example just because a rock singer has distortion in his voice does not mean he cannot sing "pop" songs. Maybe the guy can add distortion and remove i at will... which imo would make his technique more FLEXIBLE than a basic pop singer.

For example: this rock band NAILED a cover of Katy Perry's hit song "Dark Horse'

So I think it is important that we do not exclude genres... good seamless singing can occur ANYWHERE. In my honest opinion (I like pop/r&b mostly) there are probably more rock singers with stronger technique than the "flippy/breaky" people we here on pop radio.

In your opinion who is the most SEAMLESS singer of all time!? A guy (or gal) that makes you question whether or not they are in full voice or falsetto. Recently I have realized that such few people EVEN TEACHERS have mastery of this area. They are limited by vowels or have managed to "hide" the break well...

The truth comes out when it comes to actually singing songs, there is no point having a 3-octave vocal range if you cant "freely" use it. Remember the question is not who you think is the "best" singer, but the most "seamless."

Truthfully I do not have many "seamless" singers to choose from so I would go with Stevie Wonder. He really gets into it at the end, quite inspirational :)

I look forward to your answers and a youtube link would be great as well!

- JayMC

Carl Wilson

Brian Wilson

Dallas Green

Thomas Mars

Steve Perry

Lou Gramm

Brad Delp

Conveniently ordered from lightest voice/early bridging to heaviest voice/late bridging :)

Sorry that I'm too lazy to find links but pretty much anything you find from these folks will be seamless. Save, like, Brian Wilson still singing in his 60's (but the fact that he still sings that well is ridiculous)

Its not michael jacksson thats for sure

Hey Jens, is that a joke or? Because in most "polls" he shows up as the greatest singer of all time. To me, he is not seamless at all he is just capable of taking a "chesty" voice higher instead of using head-voice co-ordination.

But often most teachers will tell me "omg Michael is great, his high notes have power." The funny thing is that many teachers on this forum "cannot" sing The Way You Make Me Feel so even with technique its hard to sing MJ.

I still thinks hands down he is the greatest "entertainer" of all time :D

However this thread is not about the most "popular" singer... or the coolest looking singer. Simply the most SEAMLESS singer... where many of us would have to TRY and find little cracks/flips and probably not succeed.

Listening to breaky/flippy s&*$ on the radio definately messes up my head a bit. Sometimes I do not think it is possible for the average Joe to sing a MJ song seamlessly unless he is a natural high tenor.

Hey Jens, is that a joke or? Because in most "polls" he shows up as the greatest singer of all time. To me, he is not seamless at all he is just capable of taking a "chesty" voice higher instead of using head-voice co-ordination.

But often most teachers will tell me "omg Michael is great, his high notes have power." The funny thing is that many teachers on this forum "cannot" sing The Way You Make Me Feel so even with technique its hard to sing MJ.

I still thinks hands down he is the greatest "entertainer" of all time :D

However this thread is not about the most "popular" singer... or the coolest looking singer. Simply the most SEAMLESS singer... where many of us would have to TRY and find little cracks/flips and probably not succeed.

Listening to breaky/flippy s&*$ on the radio definately messes up my head a bit. Sometimes I do not think it is possible for the average Joe to sing a MJ song seamlessly unless he is a natural high tenor.

I was hinting at his many operations ;) so yes a joke

adding to owen's list.....steve walsh, jimi jamison, bobby kimball, jon bon jovi, richard page, steve marriott, steve winwood, bob segar, mark farner, jackie wilson, otis redding.....

all of these singers really have well developed head voices..i.m.h.o.

Anyone that has been performing in the last decade? That would a good clip to add here :)

@Videohere I do not believe headvoice is a development.

It's a co-ordination. You always had a headvoice. You simply learned to co-ordinate it better. Is that true or false? I highly doubt these guys did much "head voice" work... I firmly believe they did the "bare minimum" of head voice work and learned the CORRECT way to pull chest.

For me it feels like head voice is the "thinnest" vibrate-able string. You learned to FEEL that string, it was already there though. Feel feel to disagree though :D

frisell's book..

you can develop head voice to a degree that it is indistinguishable from chest voice.

absolutely, though it takes years.......

yes, guys like the ones i mentioned may have started out "pulling" up chest, but once you get skilled with the vowels you can drive up into some serious head voice fueled by the chest voice.

frisell wrote the key is to develop the head voice to such a degree that a "ramp" develops and chest voice gets invited up by the head voice.

to me, it's all one voice..(though it may not seem that way at first) ......as you go up, you modify the throat shape (vowel)......if you don't, you get stuck. the voice has to ride on vowels.....

as you go up a scale there is absolutely no need to lighten the voice (meaning change the beginning volume, or let off of anything).......the vowel is the key in conjunction with the mind!

you can if you want, but there is no need to.

lou gramm's (as i've said before) strength was his head voice development. steve walsh, head voice.

just listen to these 2 guys sing, you can hear all kinds of vowel play.....big powerful voices from the head voice.

that's why when you see these youtube videos and they say "this is your head voice," and they sing a really light note, it can be very misleading. that little voice can get really big........

really big.....

Jay if you practice singing in a light breathy mix but work on bridging as late as possible inside of that (carrying up as much chest musculature as you can at that light volume without straining or flipping), that's pretty much what he's doing I think. Except I still can't do it nearly as good as he does. He's also doing the "lift" for sure which probably contributes to his beautiful tone.

One mistake I made trying to imitate him is to try to just pull chest but keep it breathy and keep the volume down, but that doesn't quite work because then it still has a range ceiling and you can't smoothly bridge up into the head voice like he does. So you have to just keep only as much chest as you can handle with control and freedom and gradually shed it off the higher you go to maintain that control and freedom.

No one mentioned Sam Cooke? Jeez. Anyway, note that those "seamless singers" aren't just a thing of the past or "older singers". There are a lot of great new and seamless singers all around the world, both known and unknown.