Please critique Run to the hills cover(Iron Maiden)

• TMV World Legacy Member

HI Folks,

I am a new joinee to this forum. I have started singing after nearly 9 years and at 34 years of age, I have a desire to be the best singer I can become. I have learnt a great deal by reading posts on these forums....

I have to say that I am NOT A TRAINED SINGER.. I have never had any vocal lessons and I have spent a great deal of effort trying to improve my singing technique. I have had to rely on google search for lessons, since I am in India and it is difficult/impossible to get a good rock singing coach.

I am also a newbie in the art of mixing and this again I have learnt by browsing and reading on web.

This song represents an effort that has taken several months. I have had to unlearn a lot of my bad techniques/habits and have had a real fun journey in my quest to become a better singer(starting with accessing the head voice, learning distortion, usage of diaphragm and vowel modification). I still feel that I can improve quite a bit but I am lost for direction at this stage..

I am a baritone and so this is an extremely difficult song for me.. Please listen and give feedback on areas that I can improve.. Plus, I am from India, so there may be accent related issues :-)

https://soundcloud.com/aravind-madhavan/run-to-the-hills-cover

Sounds like you're doing well so far. If this is the style you are going for I would recommend looking into Jaime Vendera. This is kind of his teaching niche. Well, he teaches all styles, but he's the vocal coach for the dude from Dream Theater and Myles Kennedy from Slash's band/Altar Bridge/the movie Rockstar - SO people of this style tend to gravitate to him. I purchased his book Raise Your Voice (an easy $30) and out of the half dozen "popular" vocal programs I've done I find his to be the most complete and easy to read and understand. Keep up the good work, the only limits you have are the ones you place on yourself! Good Luck!

if you are not a trained singer do not even put yourself in a category(tenor,baritone,etc) It will just play into your psyche. You are any type of singer you want to be. It just takes practice. Being a vocal coach myself I dont teach my students how to sing they already know how. I help them become more consistent and get better with time with a solid base and vocal foundation. good luck keep singing!!

PLEASE CONTACT DANIEL@YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER@GMAIL.COM
WWW.YOURVOCALTEACHER.COM
WWW.DANIELFORMICAVOCALSTUDIO.COM
www.soundcloud.com/daniel-formicahttps://www.youtube.com/user/danformica
Disclaimer-Anything I write or try to help people with on here are techniques and things that have worked for ME. They are not necessarily" right" or "wrong" but have worked for ME and my 20+ yrs as a professional working
singer.
Thank you

Listen to the advice of Daniel.

I noticed a thing that might be style but it might be technique and it might make things easier for you. And I am not an expert of singing. It's something I used to do until someone pointed it out to me. You are crashing at the end of words and phrases. That is the deflection downward in pitch. Let the note continue, even after you quit singing it. It's a perspective thing. Anyway, if you do that, see if it doesn't re-align some of what you are doing to sing, in order to make it easier. But you do have the range for this song, regardless of whatever fach or type you think you are. And good tone for this song and even this genre or type of music.