doing vibrato and riffs/runs exercises while taking lessons?

Rate this topic

Benns

hey guys,

I am currently taking sls lessons and i think we're working on achieving my middle voice. Anyways, i have stumbled across some vibrato and riffs and runs exercises/videos on the net. I want to try them out but i am worried that if i do those exercises/videos whilst doing my regular sls lessons exercises, it will somehow disturb my sls lessons progress or what we're trying to achieve with the sls lessons..

What do you guys think? Should i just do one thing a ta time (the sls lessons/daily exercises (the ones i am given at every lesson)? or shall i do my daily sls singing lesson/exercises( the ones i am given at every lesson) as well as the vibrato and riffs and runs exercises ?

Thanks

It kind of depends on where you are at with the development - it is hard to give you an answer without knowing where you are at. I think you will be advised mostly to stick with the program you have. It may not hurt to do the other, but it very well could get in the way of you current goals with SLS. And if you are not at an intermediate stage of singing, these more advanced exercises could introduce unwanted tensions and bad habits. If you are at an advanced stage, and you have enough time to experiment, then go for it.

tThe trills etc stuff i wanted to do, was to do with mechanics like you stated, dante. hmm, i guess you guys are right. I should just stick to what i am being given by my techer. i don't want to do anything that would interfer with my progress.

I am with Felipe on this. Follow your teacher's advice. Your teacher is the one with the liability. Unless you just like wasting money. You could always give me that money. I won't waste it. Your spending money to a teacher and then asking us if something else you want is going to interfere with your lessons with that teacher.

Well, I had to give up my mind-reading skills for Lent.

On the other hand, maybe you are trying to beat out Jay for starting the most new threads running at a given time.