Beginner: Loss of timbre/weak in higher range

Rate this topic

NWilly86

Hello all,

Great forum, only stumbled across you guys this evening and I have already read lots of great content/tips. I am a beginner (had my first singing lesson last week), although I have been writing songs for a while. Not sure why, but i always presumed I had no voice. Regardless, i have since realized my vocal range is in the lower baritone region (usable range is E2-D4, however i mostly sing F2-C4). I have noticed a clear difference in the quality of my sound past B3, it becomes thinner, airier and in general harder to listen back to! I was wondering is it possible to retain color as you move up to the higher end of the chest/mixed voice or will it innately be lighter/thinner? Is this a case of practice and training? Also, my singing teacher is a high tenor, is there any sense in trying to find a baritone-ranged teacher or do you think its unnecessary etc?

Here is a link to a song I did this evening, it showcases what I am referring to quite well…. (as suggested on here I just did one take, apologies for quality recorded through IMac internal microphone).

Any help, critique etc is welcomed, I will not be offended!

Cheers,

Nick

Yes it is possible to retain color as you go to upper chest and mixed voice. It is not necessarily innately lighter/thinner but those characteristics do tend to come into play more commonly in the higher range. So absolute yes to the first option (retaining color), yes and no to the second option (whether the higher range is innately lighter/thinner) depending on a bunch of different variables, too much to explain in a forum post. You'll become more familiar with them after singing for a longer time.

Training and practice can help you thicken up that range and higher. Vocal training can help you do pretty much anything you want with your voice.

Especially as a beginner, you will definitely get more benefit training with a teacher of the same voice type. Or better yet, one that started with the same voice type at the beginning of their own training, then trained to extend it a great deal. Those are the teachers I have learned the most from.

Phil/Owen, thanks for the helpful replies. Im looking forward to maintaining better closure and compression as I practice and learn more. Will also try and see if there are any vocal coaches in my area that themselves sing baritone, although early searches suggest this may be tricky....

NWilly

just find a teacher that has a proven track record for growing voices. focus on that rather than if they are baritone or not.

True. Same voice type is just the icing on the cake for most people. But I personally found if super helpful as a beginner. Because then there is no risk to learning by direct auditory imitation of your teacher. Whereas a baritone trying to imitate a high tenor exactly could be extremely challenging to their voice and lead to a lot of strain