How do ya sing 'out the back of yer head'?

Rate this topic

Billy Budapest

It's mainly a visualization to get yourself stop pushing/shouting, but without feeling like there is no momentum, or nowhere to direct the sound. By directing it back you're transferring the same amount of energy you'd normally push forward in a primitive shout, to instead aiming it in a way that naturally helps control the air, open the throat and amplify the resonance.

The other purpose of it is to get the sound to resonate around the back of the pharynx more instead of getting too masky or mouthy. Resulting in a darker headier tone more like that of a yawn.

Once, again, Felipe is right. Though, if I may suggest, choose a drill bit wisely. You can dull a masonry bit going through wood and totally destroy a wood arbor bit drilling into concrete. So, know what material your head is made of and choose a bit according to the material.

:lol:

Actually, my own answer was simpler. Grow a mouth on the back of your head or follow Jim Carey's lead in "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective," only higher up.

But I think Phil has it right. Most advice on singing is to get you to align correctly. Once you have good alignment, you will find that the notes have found their proper resonating places. Powerful resonant singing is about getting out of the way of the note, however that is accomplished.

correct vowel modifications relieve the tension allowing the sound to go up and back more.

can it work the other way too? like if you focus on keeping the throat feeling open and singing from 'the back of your head' will the vowel modifications naturally happen, or is focusing on the vowel mods essential?

but in regards to singing out the back of your head, i think i feel it coming forward from somewhere around the back of my tongue, as opposed to when your pushing the sound out you feel tension around your lips. but i may be wrong on that.