Hello everybody, and a couple newbie questions!

Rate this topic

Earendil

Hi! I'm new here but I have been checking the forum for a couple of weeks. I have only recently discovered that singing is what I like to do most, even though I have been singing since I can remember. Most people that have heard me either said please stop or just shut up, but I can't stop, I know I have to sing.

Anyway, the questions: I'm about to start with a new coach this week. I have had the problem in the past that I feel like I'm not conveying correctly what I feel to the coach, and many times can't understand what he expects me to do. So since there are many coaches in this forum I thouhgt I might ask, from your point of view, how would you like students to communicate with you.

And a second question about skype lessons. Actually it's kind of the same, how does communication work over skype? I have not considered skype lessons because I think it will be even worse, am I wrong?

thanks!

Thanks! I guess my question was too general. If and when a more particular example occurs I will ask again.

One thing that has always caused me trouble is when they tell me I should feel, or place, the sound somewhere. I think I have a better idea of what they mean now but it still a bit confused of what that means.

Try to feel it as they say but try to not fret over it too much. With my current teacher often I get an exercise that "should" feel in a certain place and I work it for weeks and can't feel it, then I think "maybe I do it wrong, maybe it's individual and I won't feel it, maybe etc..."

Then 2 months down the road or whatever I get a new sensation and remember it's very close to how I got it described in the first place :-)

It's happened enough times that I don't get so nervous in the beginning of new things anymore. Just keep at it and let your teacher know your concerns :-)

Good luck!

You are worrying too much. How about getting through a few lessons with your coach? Even better, try it for 6 months to a year. And, if you are paying a fee to this coach, you should probably listen to him. If things are not going well, change to another coach. But also remember, that a coach will have you do things you think sound strange. And it is up to you to put aside your idea of what it should be long enough to find out if the exercises are helping.

One thing I value about Anthony Frisell in his book is that the student must absolutely expect a training period. You do not go from croaking frog to Caruso in 3 easy steps.

Give it some time, see what you get. Pay attention to the guy to whom you are giving money.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have just begun with my new teacher, and so far I'm pleased. I couldn't coordinate with the same one I had begun last year, with which I did around 3 months. Anyway, I have a question for you, this older teacher told me once that my passagio was very pronounced and that I would most likely never get it completely right. I can't tell you how frustrated I felt that day. I would like to know if this can be true. I will upload some samples when I am able, and would apreciate any help!

Upload samples. There are ways of going about it that make it super difficult and would leave you breaking for life until you changed approach, but anyone can smooth their passaggio it just takes the right approach to training it. If undeniable progress doesn't come after months of diligent practice on the passagio, you are definitely wasting your time and need to try a new approach. Meaning a new teacher or "method" if you must

i can tell you that you have nothing to fear the "passagio" is never going away for anyone so you are in the same boat :) The passagio is organic and forever changing the most you or anyone can do is learn to mange it. So do yourself a favor and practice and forget about the words and terms and things people will throw at you to discourage you and just enjoy singing...:)

Well I have just begun with my new teacher, and so far I'm pleased. I couldn't coordinate with the same one I had begun last year, with which I did around 3 months. Anyway, I have a question for you, this older teacher told me once that my passagio was very pronounced and that I would most likely never get it completely right. I can't tell you how frustrated I felt that day. I would like to know if this can be true. I will upload some samples when I am able, and would apreciate any help!

Keep training and dont worry.

The idea of a "pronounced passage" does not make any sense. Even less that you would "never get it right".