Figuring out Vocal Range, NEED HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE!

Rate this topic

Nharvey101

Hi all

Let me start by saying I am completely untrained when it comes to singing, but nonetheless am singing all the time because I love it. I have had some singing lessons in the past but stopped very soon after I began.

Using an online video to sing up and down the piano I have worked out that the notes I can comfortably hit ranges from e2 to c6, and the highest belt I can do without straining is b4. I can sing very comfortably in the lower range and in the upper however I find the middle less comfortable?

I find singing in my head voice the most comfortable generally but I feel very able when using my chest voice for the very low notes

Just wanted to see if anyone knew what kind of octave range that is and what it's classified as eg soprano, alto etc. I have read a lot online about this but it's just a bit confusing.

Hi all

Let me start by saying I am completely untrained when it comes to singing, but nonetheless am singing all the time because I love it. I have had some singing lessons in the past but stopped very soon after I began.

Using an online video to sing up and down the piano I have worked out that the notes I can comfortably hit ranges from e2 to c6, and the highest belt I can do without straining is b4. I can sing very comfortably in the lower range and in the upper however I find the middle less comfortable?

I find singing in my head voice the most comfortable generally but I feel very able when using my chest voice for the very low notes

Just wanted to see if anyone knew what kind of octave range that is and what it's classified as eg soprano, alto etc. I have read a lot online about this but it's just a bit confusing.

E2 to C6 is a little over 3.5 octaves. That's not necessarily your usable range at this point though.

Having the middle be least comfortable is perfectly normal. That's where your chest/modal/M1 meets and overlaps with your head/falsetto/M2. Learning to bridge and mix these registers takes some work.

You won't find much emphasis on voice type classification here. And without a sample it would be hard to judge, because classification depends as much on timbre as on range. If you were trying to sing opera, they would look at your tessitura, or the most comfortable portion of your range, and your timbre, the sound quality as in light and bright vs dark and heavy.

But if you're basically untrained and can belt a B4 (that's the B above C4/middle-C) in chest, you are probably not a true bass, but a tenor or lighter type of baritone...

You said soprano and alto, are you a girl?

Well, in any event voices cannot be classified like this, as it was mentioned it depends on your tessitura, and the tessitura in its turn depends on trainning, a good technical basis in order to be consolidated. Not even if you send a sample, it will be just guessing.

Dont worry about it, specially if you are just trying it out and see how it goes, just sing and experiment with your voice. If you decide its something you want to learn for real, the best idea is to seek instruction.

Hope it helps!

Apart from being more useful samples are also more fun than range denominations :)

Ask yourself why range is important. What do you want to sing? Can you sing it? If not, find out what are you lacking. Sometimes it's a lot more than range.

Hi guys thanks for all your responses

I am a complete amateur so please be patient with me :D

I should have mentioned before I am a female in her 20s

I have a clip of me singing up and down the scale, though I must mention that I've noticed my voice naturally turns into my head voice the higher I go. Also when I descend down the piano when I reach ... I have to sing using a different part of my throat as I start to struggle, it's like I can still reach the notes below this comfortably, enough to put vibrato on it, but using a different vowel sound and a different register( if that's what it is?) Is this normal or is it even counted as singing?!!!

I only have a recording device on my phone which probably isn't the best but once I figure out how to put it on here I will

I know that my voice is not groundbreaking or amazing but I like to think it's not completely a lost cause :cool:

I am only curious about all this so don't worry to put a healthy dose of honesty in your comments, I'd rather have experienced people explain it all to me rather than dodge being critical

Will upload clip......

voice type is good for opera.

So, what opera are you in and what role are you singing? That's a trick question. If you were in an opera, you have already been cast for the role you would sing and your question would be answered. I doubt anyone here could, even if so inclined, classify your voice from words that you type. I used to be bad about that. No mas. You want to know your voice type, go to a coach familiar with classical and opera.