what books do you recommend

Rate this topic

bigmike092

Mike,

Well, you see, these authors all have different philosophies in regards to vocal technique and how to achieve it. So in a way it depends on your own way of learning. For instance, do you want a more physiologically correct way? A more sensation/imaginary way? Or, a more "flower power" wordy way?

martin, not sure what you mean by flower power way. mainly all ive read is far is stuff on this forum and cvt forum. but im not looking to buy the cvt book, at least not yet, and just looking for a book with some practical tips.

jens, im not really looking for a vocal training program as i dont have the money for that right now. does unless you mean a book of 4 pillars but i looked in the store and havent seen it if there is one.

martin, oh i see. not sure which i would like, any books that helped you specifically if any?

owen, well im not sure taking lessons are a requirement and while were on the subject of ron im pretty sure he stated he never took lessons. i do know however not taking lessons is much harder and longer(and probably less straining on the voice im guessing to) but at this point i dont have the money or time and for now im okay with only making slow progress. probably sometime down the road all take lessons though.

anyways, any books you recommend?

That's cool bigmike. Youre in the kind of situation where going by books makes sense. It's just some people have all the time and money they need and just kinda don't believe lessons work for them. But I can tell you get their value.

I do have to correct you on one detail though, the books approach isn't less straining on the voice. It's not frequent practice that would cause it, its incorrect practice which is a little more likely without a teacher. But if you are smart you will fix it over time it will just take years instead of months

yea that's kind of ridiculous someone believing they wouldn't work for them provided you find a teacher who knows their stuff.

the incorrect practice causing it is what i meant. there's sometimes when im trying to figure stuff out and it hurts not in a good way so i then i take a brake for a little bit.

I wouldn't put the cart before the horse. What works best for me is figuring out all of the parts of the voice I can control and how to move them and what the effect of that is. That's a place to start. You will save yourself a lot of time and effort learning this as much as you can on your own. Some people might disagree on the grounds that it might build bad habits, but what you should be doing is working one thing at a time and really focusing on it and making sure it is right. When I was very inexperienced and didn't know much about anything with singing I found that if I could figure out how to get the larynx nice and low, I could pretty much just sing well without thinking of the other stuff at all, and likewise when the larynx position is wrong, I could have done everything right and perfectly coordinated the other 99% of the equation to spectacularly awful results.

Everything is about context and reading a book that tells you some specific technique is not going to make sense or even be usable without the other 20 things that need to be correct for it to work.

I've probably purchased all the books above, and more. By far the best one I've found is "Secrets of Singing" by Jeffrey Miller. Very thorough, easy to read and understand. Can't recommend it more highly.

i've been looking at the tenor voice (anthony frisell), the bel canto buzz, raise your voice, and singing and the actor.

if anyone could recommend any good books that would be cool, and maybe any i didn't list as well.

"Resonance in Singing and Speaking" by Dr. Thomas Fillebrown.

"How to Sing" by Lilli Lehmann, which can be had in English translation, as well as the original German. I don't know which language you are more comfortable with but I imagine it's English.

And true, I have never had singing lessons. And some people might also say, "Well, that explains a lot." :lol:

But, I have also been singing a really long, long time and I have made every mistake there ever was. And I have consulted with a classical coach. And I wonder, if I had received his advise when I was younger, would I have accepted it? I don't know. But maybe some of things I know now would have come to me sooner.

Of the two books I mentioned, Fillebrown's is easier. There are some simple exercises you can do on any scale you care to choose. Sure, it's a classical method but you can start clean and widen your tone from there.

I would also recommend Debra Lynn's Bel Canto Buzz, it was written for beginners but can also help more experienced singers.

And thanks for the cred, Owen. Feels good to say it, doesn't it? I will say it if I say something I expect may not always be well received.

One thing that I have noticed from the teacher/coaches and those that progressed with the help of teachers. Each will mention that they either taught themselves for years with books and made little progress and then found a teacher who knew how to teach and made major progress or they had a coach or teacher in the beginning and made little progress so decided to teach themselves with books with still little progress and found a good teacher and made major progress.

What I get out of this is....Study what you can from books FIRST so when the teacher gives you exercises you have a better understanding of WHY you are doing that exercise and when you do not understand something you have enough knowlege to ask the correct questions. I have read many books and did not understand what the exercises where supposed to help with. I may have been to quiet or too loud or just focussing on the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Starting with books first will get you confused......Starting with a teacher first will get you confused. Study on your own then get a teacher to straighten out the confusion.

And true, I have never had singing lessons. And some people might also say, "Well, that explains a lot." :lol:

ron, i'd doubt it. ive heard clips from you. i forget when it was from but i found one you posted while searching through old threads. at least in my opinion your really good as well as seem knowledgeable on technique.

but what i was really getting at is yes lessons make everything much easier and quicker(provided you find a teacher who really knows their stuff), but i think also people go to far the other way when they say your not going to make any progress at all on your own. yet look at singers like dallas green of city and colour whose never had a lesson in his life and has good technique(or so ive heard) and an amazing voice. and no im not claiming all be able to sing like him without lessons, but i know i can make at least some sort of progress on my own even if it takes a while. then sometime down the road all likely take lessons which im sure will make everything quicker and easier.

mdew, couldnt a teacher just explain the reasoning? but lessons or no lessons experimenting and learning as much as you can about your own personal instrument is likely a good thing and what ive been doing as well reading this forum which is incredibly helpful.

Singers like Dallas Green and Brian Wilson and such who got great without lessons, id consider them lucky. They were able to learn purely by doing and weren't rushed for time so a slower approach worked. Id also argue that they probably didnt confuse themselves with vocal books and forums and that probably helped them maintain their natural talent and ability to improve through experience and copying their favorite singers, without the more academic side. But everybody's different. Without lessons I am 100% positive I wouldn't even be half as good as I am today. So I tend to be biased in that direction, but when I hear singers who try to learn from just this forum or just a program and they suck and are totally confused, that's when I immediately think well they're not learning at all that way so they need a new approach that involves less studying/learning and more training/doing. Unfortunately many people seem resistant to that for some reason I still don't understand

Bigmike, more than one person here has told me I need lessons, one even told me I need to start all over from scratch, and he is a respected member. Hence, how well my singing is depends on who you ask and what day it is.

And I still stand for what I said rowns.

And no, you wont learn from books. You will gather information from books and then use it in some improvised way, reinventing the wheel at home at slow pace and with very little chances of getting a really good result.

But, if you must, one that I like is Structure of Singing, Richard Miller. Still since its from 86, you have to know what is useful and what needs a on the fly update, the book also works on the premise of a teacher with experience helping the student, there is no structure of trainning, but a collection of principles and problem solving ideas.

Bigmike092 wrote:

mdew, couldnt a teacher just explain the reasoning? but lessons or no lessons experimenting and learning as much as you can about your own personal instrument is likely a good thing and what ive been doing as well reading this forum which is incredibly helpful.

You would think that a teacher could just explain things and then you do the exercises correctly. Too many of the good singers here say they took lessons first and still made little progress. Maybe after self study you begin to recognize the difference between someone who knows how to teach and those who do not.

For me the hard part has always been to find someone who knows what he/she is doing (in relation to MY voice) that gives lessons close to where I live. To me being in the same room helps a lot.

A bad teacher doesn't improve you that much.

Reading too much from books make you question your teachers which is good if they are bad, and bad if they are good!

well what im thinking is anyone can improve a lot from books, but it's unlikely you will reach a certain level of singing until you get lessons, and at the least gets you there quicker and easier.

i know i certainly improved at least somewhat from this forum and all the great advice. but i think it also depends a lot on the person. some people read books or take a single lesson thinking from one hour of practice i will become amazing. then other people know its not the info but how much you practice that info and taking your time with it and that it's hard work.

thanks for the recommendations so far.

one even told me I need to start all over from scratch

i see lessons, but starting over? i imagine all your experience from singing counts for something. either way your in a better position than some random person whose never read anything about singing technique or practiced it.

anyways, any books you recommend?

Raise your Voice 2nd edition gives you a crap-ton of info on just about everything related to singing, and has very good visualisations and cues. I feel it gives a good deal for the price.

I deleted the post, Phil. Not because of what you said, for other reasons. This is bigmike's thread and I would just as soon not be the north end of a southbound mule that brings in dissension and harsh judgement and take a chance of putting anyone on the defensive.