how to stop pulling chest when doing "gee" exercise?

Rate this topic

Benns

hey guys,

Every time, i do the gee gee exercise, i always end up pulling chest in the middle/high bit of the scale which is supposed to be in head. My teacher has suggested that i just focus on the pronunciation of "gee" and focus on following the scaler but every time i do that, despite pronouncing "gee" correct, i still have this habit of pulling chest at the middle/high bit of the scale. I think it's due to months of pulling/using complete chest throughout the whole scale, making it hard to get out of. Any tips, guys?

Thanks

Imagine gradually thinning out/shedding weight off the vocal folds as you ascend or perhaps the zipping up the vocal folds visualization helps you or some combination of those. and take care to start and continue the thinning earlier than you think you should so that you can get it smooth and inch your way toward a lighter configuration in the high range without flipping to falsetto or hanging on too hard to chest.

Also, temporarily allow it to be pitchy and try to relearn to get high pitches by thinning instead of adding physical effort and that should help. The high notes should be no more physically strenuous than the low notes, the effort level should stay the same except instead of short and thick vocal folds they're getting thinner, more stretched, and more approximated, like stetching a rubber band.

Also don't think of high pitches as higher think of it as all around same spot and just the vocal folds are changing their activity to a thinner more stretched shape to vibrate at a higher pitch.

Not all of this is scientifically accurate but its what you want to think about in order to do it successfully. At least how if works for me hopefully these tricks help you too.

Put a little yawn in your voice as you do it and hold that position the whole scale or try and sound like yogi bear through the whole scale. Don't let the position move because it gets uncomfortable. You are not going to sing like this it is just to keep you from pulling and help to keep your larynx down. Again you are not going to sing like this.

And also don't hold on let your voice go to falsetto or headvoice or whatever. The key is to have the same puff of air hit the cords and the cords approximate to the each note whether it's chest or head. So don't hold onto anything. Meaning don't stay in chest longer than you should and on the way down don't stay in head longer than you should let the cords tell you where they want to be

hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all of your suggestions but i haven't had much luck. It's weird, really.. It's like when i am doing the scale, my voice already anticipates the notes and their direction (due to months of doing the scale, i think in completely chest ), so it hits the notes. However, i can never seem to get my voice out of doing the whole scale in chest. It's like my voice will do the whole scale in chest because it already has anticipated where the notes are going to be hit, thus preventing me from actually singing the scale actually, naturally which would automatically lead me to the head voice in the middle bit. I have been told by my teacher , to not focus on trying to reach that middle/high bit and just concentrate on maintaining the pronunciation of the vowel as it will lead me to automatically reach that middle bit in my head voice.

I have tried this but this hasn't worked at all. It's like my voice is so used to the scale that it antipicates when every note is about to hit but because it antipicates, it automatically hits the notes in chest. I have tried to think of like a chair or something to keep my mind off, the scale too much while doing it, in order to reduce the anticipation and to in turn be able to sing the scale naturally with my voice doing it's own thing ( singing the scales - chest to middle/head/bit to chest), rather than singing it all in chest but this hasn't worked at all. I used to try and imagine a chair or something while doing the scales (back, when i used to do it all in chest) and it used to help the anticipation.

I think someone mentioned something about trying to bridge early. The thing is, that i don't actually know (i think) how to activate, switch head at the jot of a pen. i only know how to do it, via scale (when it, hits that middle/high bit).

I really, hope i managed to explain myself properly over text..it's kinda hard to describe over text ha. Apologizes in advance, if i may have used any terminology wrongly.

I watched a video a couple of weeks ago about Middle voice( yes I know, it is all one voice :rolleyes:) anyway the exercise was on MOO. stay in a natural speaking voice and just speak the moo in an ascending scale, whichever your favorite one is. keep the volume consistant and let the rest do what it needs to do to speak moo on the pitch. You can speak the OOs hooty or hard. Go with the hard OO not the hooty one.

I am no teacher so this may may not help but it will not hurt to try it.

hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all of your suggestions but i haven't had much luck. It's weird, really.. It's like when i am doing the scale, my voice already anticipates the notes and their direction (due to months of doing the scale, i think in completely chest ), so it hits the notes. However, i can never seem to get my voice out of doing the whole scale in chest. It's like my voice will do the whole scale in chest because it already has anticipated where the notes are going to be hit, thus preventing me from actually singing the scale actually, naturally which would automatically lead me to the head voice in the middle bit. I have been told by my teacher , to not focus on trying to reach that middle/high bit and just concentrate on maintaining the pronunciation of the vowel as it will lead me to automatically reach that middle bit in my head voice.

I have tried this but this hasn't worked at all. It's like my voice is so used to the scale that it antipicates when every note is about to hit but because it antipicates, it automatically hits the notes in chest. I have tried to think of like a chair or something to keep my mind off, the scale too much while doing it, in order to reduce the anticipation and to in turn be able to sing the scale naturally with my voice doing it's own thing ( singing the scales - chest to middle/head/bit to chest), rather than singing it all in chest but this hasn't worked at all. I used to try and imagine a chair or something while doing the scales (back, when i used to do it all in chest) and it used to help the anticipation.

I think someone mentioned something about trying to bridge early. The thing is, that i don't actually know (i think) how to activate, switch head at the jot of a pen. i only know how to do it, via scale (when it, hits that middle/high bit).

I really, hope i managed to explain myself properly over text..it's kinda hard to describe over text ha. Apologizes in advance, if i may have used any terminology wrongly.

sing an "oo" vowel as in "goo"...the "oo" by it's very nature will thin you out and send in more head resonance. "oo" is an inherently heady vowel.

don't fight it... let it narrow

hi guys,

It sounds like you need to temporarily stop worrying about specific pitch and just thinking high vs. low in a new way, completely retraining your mechanics of getting high pitches from just pushing for them to instead gradually using a finer amount musculature in the larynx the higher you go. But it requires a new way of adjusting pitch, so just expect it to be pitchy at first. If you don't allow that to happen you'll get stuck back in your old habits of hitting pitches through chest pulling