What do I need to fix?

Rate this topic

I have sound recorded myself singing and I'd appreciate creative criticism on two recordings that I recently recorded. I'd also like to know my voice type & the tone I sing in (not sure if dramatic, lyric or whatever). Thank you :)

STP- "Interstate Love Song" singing along/cover

Nirvana- "Serve The Servants" singing along/cover

Also, I messed up the lyrics a couple of times which sort of messed me up.

Your pitch is good. You've not got a lot of singing volume but that would be okay if you had a better mic and a way to mix against a karaoke track. Of course, you don't sound like Scott. But I think you are on the right track.

Thank you! I was expecting a “you sound terrible...more practice needed" type feedback (which I'm quite used to). The song wasn't too low for me was it? I asked a friend about it and she told me that I need to sing a bit higher (which is an issue considering that I can't sing much higher without my throat hurting afterwards).

Well you are a little airy on the low notes, but you are hitting the pitches.

I don't know how old you are. If you are in your mid teens or thereabouts your vocal anatomy is still growing, so the bottom end of your range should naturally expand. Just keep at it, but don't push. Quiet and in tune is better than loud and way off the mark!

If you are older than your early twenties, I would guess you might have smaller than average vocal folds. In that case you can still expand your range a bit at the low end, but your strongest potential will be in the higher octaves. You might be a lyric tenor, but that's only really knowable, and only really relevant, in a classical context.

Thank you, Jim.

I am actually 18...so they're probably maturing a bit more. The reason I asked about the type was because I used to be in chorus and was with the alto 2s but I had suspected that my type had probably changed.

It might help to know that Scott Weiland is a baritone. But don't let that define you because you happen to like the song. That is, don't sing it like a "baritone." Find out how your voice works and sing it that way.

Let the volume happen.