Don Henley?

Rate this topic

I'm a big fan of Don Henley, especially "The Boys of Summer" and "Sunset Grill". I have seen him live twice, once with the Eagles and once solo, and he's really a great live singer. Does anyone here have any thoughts about his technique? I'm pretty sure he never trained or anything, but it seems to me his stuff is really hard to sing.

Funny because Don started out as a drummer and certainly was the drummer for the Eagles who had a revolving door of big names come through the door. For example, Jackson Browne was with them for a while and co-wrote "Take it Easy." Joe Walsh was also with them for a while. But mostly, the singing duties were up to Don Henley and Glen Frey.

Don has always had a "dusty" voice so, I think he was just singing light, most of the time, which was managable, considering that he was also pounding skins at the time. The rest is electronic magic.

Funny because Don started out as a drummer and certainly was the drummer for the Eagles who had a revolving door of big names come through the door. For example, Jackson Browne was with them for a while and co-wrote "Take it Easy." Joe Walsh was also with them for a while. But mostly, the singing duties were up to Don Henley and Glen Frey.

Don has always had a "dusty" voice so, I think he was just singing light, most of the time, which was managable, considering that he was also pounding skins at the time. The rest is electronic magic.

I think it's heavy compression on the production side mixed with a very heavy open chest voice. Just because it doesn't come out that loud doesn't mean it's light in effort to produce. That's just what I've found though. Everyone's experience singing in his style would feel different.