Estill compulsory voice figures

Rate this topic

Sagakkan

Hi there,

search as I might on google, I've not been able to find exactly what the compulsory voice figures are.....could anyone give me a summary of these 13 exercises?

The reason why I'm interested in them is because my voice doesn't really work right, after years of stress and OCD I think something that most people have on 'automatic' where their voice is concerned (even when I speak), is no longer on automatic for me....there is no nasal resonance or 'ring' in it, if you understand what I mean. I've tried many many things over the years. To complicate matters my voice is just very 'different' in many ways, it is considerably darker and lower than the vast majority of males, I could never sing in choir because even in the 'bass' section I had to shout to hit the notes.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

search as I might on google, I've not been able to find exactly what the compulsory voice figures are.....could anyone give me a summary of these 13 exercises?

The reason why I'm interested in them is because my voice doesn't really work right, after years of stress and OCD I think something that most people have on 'automatic' where their voice is concerned (even when I speak), is no longer on automatic for me....there is no nasal resonance or 'ring' in it, if you understand what I mean. I've tried many many things over the years. To complicate matters my voice is just very 'different' in many ways, it is considerably darker and lower than the vast majority of males, I could never sing in choir because even in the 'bass' section I had to shout to hit the notes.

Thanks in advance!

Ah, the singing equivalent of the "perfect storm." Let me bring out my magic want - "poof", you are now a singer. Man, that was easy. Someone, give me a real challenge.

Let me get all "Felipe" on you. Find a coach or someone in your area that sings well and can at least fake it as a coach and get you started on some stuff. I say that because I know you will not provide a sound file for us to hear what you are talking about.

Yes, you can sing. Yes, it will take work or practice, or whatever word you like. I like "goosenfrabe." What can I say? One grandfather was from Germany and it makes me think of the "Old Country." I don't mean to rant on you, specifically. But, once in a while, we get someone who is so sure they cannot sing and that they have the perfect antithesis of singing in their voice. And it turns out to be simply untrained. Plus the unfairness of life, general. Some people seem "born" to have a beautiful voice. Patricia Andrejewski was such a person. But it still took her her years of dedicated practice to turn it into something enduring and dependable. How much time? The same amount as you will need. Or any other singer.

Just like I was born big and tall and stink at basketball. I could probably get better if I worked at basketball.

Chin up, fellow. You can do this if you want to do it. Start with the "want to" and let that drive you on to great things.

No, I will provide a soundfile. But I know that something is different because my voice USED to have a ring, and used to carry very easily and be very powerful, even when speaking. Now I can't even speak for too long before it starts to hurt or get very weak, let alone sing. I'm not really a trained singer but I know when something is off or different. Also, I would only get a reputable professional opera singer as a voice teacher, since that is my interest.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Fa64etY8Ep

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1xfN3dXVuiI

There are some clips..unfortunately I have no 'before' clips.......the choir director I had always said to use the 'ng' ring, so I know what it feels like and I know now that I don't have it anymore. Of course I'm not doing things right, but I don't even have the normal automatic resonance that any dumb idiot on the street has so that they can yell across the street.....e.g., in a crowded noisy room, I can't be heard because my voice just won't carry at all.

The figures are based on primal sounds. Crying,laughing,sobbing,screaming........... they are a way to get in touch with the different aspects of your voice.

The bad part about trying to "Fix" things yourself without a coach is the fact that you may "Hear" or "Feel" different types of vibration but not know which is good or bad. For years I worked on getting rid of that annoying buzz or overtone thinking that it was taking away from the clarity of my voice. It turns out that that buzz was what I needed for my voice to project. :/ Go figure. :P

You may hear about resonating in the mask..... Good resonance may feel like that to you but the Nasal sound will also resonate there and it is bad. Also fixing one bad habit may wind up replaced by another bad habit.

I am not saying do not work on your own only saying that someone with experience to guide you will make things a lot easier and faster.

Vocal training is something that is constantly changing. You never have a finished product because your voice is always changing and there is always more to learn and refine.