Tom Petty - Refugee (Cover)

• TMV World Legacy Member

That was a unique version and I liked it. I did not think it could be a duet but I think you did it right.

Thanks Ron, I'm glad you liked it. They actually did this duet on The Voice which is why she wanted to do it!

Okay, I missed that episode. And I had thought about suggesting you to cover Tom Petty stuff because you have a good voice for his range and style but I didn't know if it was out of your style range though the acoustic folk ballads you have been doing lately would suggest that Petty is not totally out of all consideration to cover.

Just like people suggesting I cover Neil Young. His songs are not usually in my set list, as it were, but my voice and singing style are a close enough match and I did get some applause from the one or two other people who will listen to something besides Journey or Iron Maiden.

For example, if you really look at the song construction and arrangement, there is not much difference between Foo Fighters and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Different production values on the vocals and I think Dave Grohl has a little more rattle in his voice. And Tom can hit a few notes below Dave, as I can hear in the speaking part of your voice.

Okay, I missed that episode. And I had thought about suggesting you to cover Tom Petty stuff because you have a good voice for his range and style but I didn't know if it was out of your style range though the acoustic folk ballads you have been doing lately would suggest that Petty is not totally out of all consideration to cover.

Just like people suggesting I cover Neil Young. His songs are not usually in my set list, as it were, but my voice and singing style are a close enough match and I did get some applause from the one or two other people who will listen to something besides Journey or Iron Maiden.

For example, if you really look at the song construction and arrangement, there is not much difference between Foo Fighters and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Different production values on the vocals and I think Dave Grohl has a little more rattle in his voice. And Tom can hit a few notes below Dave, as I can hear in the speaking part of your voice.

Tom Petty has got some great tracks, and does often sing in a nice comfortable range (mainly in verses). Funny that you'd mention Dave Grohl, he's one of the modern rock singers that often sings in a comfortable range for me as well. Of course Dave also sometimes goes very high and distorted (like on the chorus of The Pretender) which is quite the challenge!

As you noticed, I have a 'lower' voice so I struggle with higher range. Over time I've been noticing improvement/increased range in myself however so I'm keeping it at it.