Phlegm- drving me nuts!

Rate this topic

So- I got that damned cold (laryngitis, phlegm, tiredness, etc.) a few weeks ago. My voice is back for the most part, but I've got this issue with phlegm. Not in my nose, not really in my head, but seemingly in my throat and below my cords. Not in my chest anymore- but the phlegm just seems to sit RIGHT in the area needed for singing. Once I get that outta the way, the voice is fine, but when it's there, it's as if my whole mechanism closes off.

Anybody here dealing with this and have you figured a way 'round it?

you're talking to the phlegm king, buddy.

i'm still struggling, but these things helped greatly.

assuming you're not getting "protection mucus," because of singing too pressed or too glotally.....or you are speaking incorrectly, (got to get the speaking voice up and out of the throat) clearing your throat too much, too roughly and again the body produces "protection mucus."

it's a vicious cycle....

(you have to treat that as a separate issue.)

you absolutely have to first make sure you are drinking enough water...this will get it more liquefied so you can eject it or get it out of the way...when it's thick it's tenacious, and clings like paste.

i've had it so bad you can't even be sure the note won't pitch off and you get shit scared that every time to go sing a line, you're not going to find you rasp out or the tone gets blocked off almost entirely....

even if you have no apparent symptoms of gerd, absolutely must not go to bed without at least waiting 2 or more hours. never go to bed on a full stomach. you'll reflux and the body will again produce protective mucus to help protect the vocal tract from the acid.

it could be allergies and/or post nasal drip....stuff happens when you're sleeping too. it drips down at night and coats things.

get away from mucus-producing foods like creams, ice cream, cream salad dressings, creamed soups, milk, cake icing, chips...fried foods, greasy foods, bacon.......watch out for tomato based foods....

train yourself to eat smaller portions of food, so your belly doesn't pile up with food.

gargle with warm salt water once or twice a day to keep the throat nice and clean.

for me the biggest help was consistent water and going to bed on an empty stomach....watch out for allergies.

it's something you have to manage......the water keeps it thin so you can sing around it.

Yeah, this is always an issue for me when I'm doing things right. I think it's because some part of the body is moving while another part isn't and when there's not a nice air gap in there it causes the phlegm to jump to the more rigid part, then resonance loosens it and I end up coughing it up. That's just me though. It's common when I overemphasize any part of the vocal anatomy, such as my chest, or whatever.

Good solid vocal technique and hydration will help the phlegm issue . If you have to much friction or air you will tend to get phlegm unless it's an allergy of some sort. So go down a list of allergies and make sure your tech is good and you should be able to clear it up

Anyone ever experience "foam?" It's just water, but bubbly and alkaline

I also get this extremely creamy and light phlegm that is really elastic, like I tiny bit of it that I cough onto my hand will stretch as I pull my hand away from my mouth and just this tiny little strand of it stretches for a couple of feet.

Yup. So much of the time, it's not fun, it's a hassle. Oh well...

bill, really get the speaking voice efficient, get it up and out of the throat, and up the water and i think it will get better.....

watch you don't vocal fry and grind when you speak.

adveser, a lot of us are going start ignoring you soon.

VIDEOHERE, I found out what it is. It's called Hydroxyl. Let's not even get into how that's happening because people will insist that I'm not really ripping apart water molecules with the amount of ionization in my lungs to steal oxygen from those cells.

"Grind when I speak"- you know, that was one thing Robert Lunte helped me with. I was grinding when singing and had absolutely no idea. He gave me a lot of stuff to work with, but honestly, that was such a great observation and it helped me with a lot of stuff. It gave me instant relief at that time.

The phlegm never seems to be in my nose or head ('cept when I'm sick). It's ALWAYS in my throat. Just really drives me nuts. Regarding the coughing thing- I find the more I cough, the worse my voice gets. When I get a cold or something, it's usually the COUGHING that messes me up more than anything. Coughing swells the chords and the "cold" can go away, but I'm left with swollen chords from coughing and it can really really f up my gigs. Really frustrating. I could start another thread on my frustration with my voice, but it's just whiny (and yeah, I realize that folks, sorry). There are times when I just want to walk away from singing altogether because of this kind of stuff. Sometimes, I'd rather just be the rhythm guitarist (or bass player, or keyboard player, depending on which band I'm performing with that night). But I know I'm a good front guy and I have nights where the voice works just as it should and those keep me involved.

it's your instrument you know man, that's the best way to look at it....treat it with all the respect you can....

i have the same problem....i have to constantly watch the way i speak or the volume i speak at. i try to inflect a lot more, even it means sounding a little gay....lol!!!

it's a new yorker thing too.....you get with a bunch of guys and they all talk loudly or grind out the macho voice.

billy, i totally relate....i have similar issues...keep the phlegm diluted by keeping well hydrated....the viscosity is the issue. if it's too thick singing well is very very, scary...you get very insecure like you have no control of your voice.

and again watch how you use the voice...get it placed higher and keep it from dropping into grit and grind. it really takes a sort of vigilance....

those saline washes help too..like this one..it's a rinse to get all the debris and allergens washed out.

http://www.amazon.com/Neilmed-Sinus-Regular-Refill-Packets/dp/B000GG5OU4/ref=sr_1_14?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1397854970&sr=1-14&keywords=saline+wash