A Whole New World [Japanese] Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Did another recording today, a cover of A Whole New World from Aladdin in Japanese, by an artist named Mai Fukui from a Tokyo Disney's 25th anniversary album. I sang it three half steps down from the original key. Tried to correct the sibilance issues, but a few instances happen where I can hear a little sharpness. Could this just be an articulation problem? I know with some "t" sounds they sound similar after I add reverb in a mix. All feedback is welcome, links below. Thanks.

https://app.box.com/s/erc2i5e53q1ro6obscfv

Original song:

The Japanese lyrics are also slightly different in translation. Here's the original Disney version with the Japanese voice actors and the English/kanji subbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e644PzS4np0

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thanks bernie, I don't have a lot of Japanese knowledge, so when I was singing this I just kept trying to refer to the original track and study the lyrics. What I found was that in many lyrics sources the romaji is not accurate at all...so I had to ask a friend who taught English in Japan verify my first recording's pronunciation. The differences were quite noticeable! Certain words like "fushigi/fushiki" come up as "ushiki" in lyrics sites for the Japanese version [From the line Nagare boshii wa, fushikina, yume ni michite iru no ne, meaning "Shooting stars are filled with wondrous dreams"]. I need to work on my "r" articulation when I'm singing in Japanese-- I think it's a little too pronounced, but I've heard other Japanese singers like Utada Hikaru pronounce them more than others who keep them similar to the English "l" or "d" even. It's a challenge, but I love singing in Japanese and Korean; there's a freedom and a linguistic breadth that I appreciate. [And covet :)]

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud