So sick of my voice (Please help me out!)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys

i've been using singing success program(CD) for a while but it doesn't help me. i feel like my voice just stuck in my chest/mouth and i can't get it up to my head/nose. i try to add cry to it and i feel so uncomfortable in my mouth like i'm pushing real hard and everything just want to burst out(may be i'm doing it wrong i don't know)

i try to sing "ng" up and down and my voice sounds like screaming(too bright a bit raspy treble) even sometimes cracking happens

here's my singing

please help me out guys! i don't know what to do now i'm lost!!

ps.really Sorry for my english i'm no native speaker.

Yes you are doing it wrong if you are feeling those sensations.

You need to focus on thinning out to get higher pitches (i think in SS they say zipping up but in MM they say thinning out which helps some people more) instead of pushing or squeezing for them. Exercise at a light volume (slightly below speaking volume) at first and try to GRADUALLY release "weight" and let the sound thin out as you go higher in order to keep the volume the same without straining or flipping. If you do it right you will find you've smoothly bridged into a falsetto/head voice and now have a bunch of new range available. Then after you can connect the voice lightly, you gradually add more power to that over time.

Don't add any more power or volume than you can smoothly manage through the break. But as you exercise lightly it will become more comfortable and then over time you'll find you can gradually add a little more power and volume without breaking, and then eventually add even more power and volume without breaking, and so on.

This is only a small step toward becoming a great singer and it's too hard to explain fully through text, but it is how you remove range limitations and it will allow you to do the exercises without straining or cracking so you can start progressing.

Umm, I'm not sure what you're asking here because that clip sounded pretty darn good. Do what I do and just sing. Yo're going to drive yourself nuts trying to do it the way others tell you it "should" be done. If it sounds good (and it does) then to hell with how it "should' be done. Do it the way you do it. If people like it then your doing it right.

I agree with bernie, did you posted a wrong clip in the soundcloud? Because i cant imagine why should you sick of that kind of singing voice. Anyway i also use singing success cds when i start learning to sing, just stick with all the basics exercises and you'll notice the improvement slowly. Don't expect immediate change, because singing can take weeks, months or even years to get it right.

anyway you said about the difficulty to get into upper range, mm actually im not an expert about singing too but those tongue trills and lip rolls exercises in the singing success cds really help me a lot to connect my voice from lower range to upper range.

@Owen Korzec

Thanks Owen, I'll start working on this 'thinning out' thing from now. really appreciate your help

@berniemcpeak

haha you are right. may be i just care too much about what is 'right' or 'wrong'. i guess i should believe in myself a little more. Thank you so much Bernie.

@RHan

Thanks RHan, well i just didn't feel good when i listen to it, like i said, i felt like i was pushing so.. but thanks again! your words mean a lot.

• Administrator

Yes, I think it sounded ok... has a real pop sound... and you don't need the vocoder auto-tuning...unless your using that for an effect. Its decent... not a big worry here. I agree with Phil, I would like to hear you sing something that is challenging however... sing something that ascends to at least a G4, then we will hear things that we can help you with. If you play it safe down in the chesty "groove" voice, its not as demanding technically. Although it sounded nice...