how to sing high c and above without voice cracking

Rate this topic

Fireal91

Hello. I am new to this forum so I am pleased to meet all of you :)

I am an amateur vocalist who decided to take singing serious and

I've been singing consistently for about over a year now. I've noticed

that my range has increased by far. I just wish my technique

was as consistent. I sing/scream for a metal band and I just recently

found a screaming technique that I felt was better on my voice. No,w

as far as singing goes, my voice is really weird :( I have on and off days

sometimes. But, there are days when I'm able to sing up to an e5 without

cracking in my mixed voice and there days when i cant even get up there at all.

My current range where I feel comfortable- low note is g2-high note is b4

I'm currently trying to get up to a high tenor c5 in my mixed voice without strain

and without cracking. I know I'm able to sing it without cracking because

I have done it before without my voice cracking or breaking and it was all in my mix.

I have even gone past c5 in my mixed voice without any breaks or cracking.

But i consider those notes hit or miss at the moment. My question is what can i do

to sing notes like c5 more consistently in my mixed voice without cracking or

breaking? I have tendency to pull up to my chest and shout which i think

causes me to breaks and it really disheartening :( after singing a few songs

I can sing c5 and SOMETIMES above a c5. I am truly at a wits end :(

because i have all these notes but I just lack the consistency to sing them on demand.

my vocal influences are chino moreno from deftones, chris barretto from ever forthright,

ian kenny from karnivool, and maynard james keenan. I need help on finding a better

technique in order to sing these notes on demand. please help. any tips or techniques

would be very beneficial for me. I'd really appreciate it if anyone out there can help! :)

thank you!

Hey fireal91 you sound like you have a good handle on your voice already the thing is singing high c and notes surrounding it are going to be inconsistent until you get more and more comfortable hitting them. Think of it like building a foundation to a house it needs to be solid from the ground up. In other words the secret to the high notes is the bottom notes. The better the notes are in the low to midrange the more consistant your high notes will be because you don't change or switch anything. There is no click or switch to the high notes. There are plenty of ways to approach this my advice is don't rush it it really try and map out that lower range into the higher range. Vowel modification will help you(but don't get to analytical with this) and also consistant air flow. Breathe in sing your phrase on the breath then let the air back in and continue. Don't hold back your breath or interrupt the natural flow if your bottom notes are solid and not airy the will do that job naturally.

Hope that helps good luck

Hey Daniel Thanks alot for the advice! :D

But as far as any technique goes, are there any

techniques that i can utilize to reduce tension

while singing up there? and what you mentioned

about the bottom notes. One thing you mentioned about

mid range and bottom notes , my mid

range and bottom notes already seem solid, they aren't airy. its the

transition going up that causes problems. :(

so, Im wondering if my mid range and bottom notes

are solid, why i am getting stuck before i can get to the high c?

I seem to feel stuck at most times. I'm just really trying to find

a way to free my voice.

Don't look at it like a transition.. Some things you can do are seperate your falsetto and work it out by its self all over your range. Then work out your chest voice bottom range and only take it to e4ish. Then start to work throughout your whole range as one voice letting it stay connected get to the f# good goto the the g goto to the g# when you start to feel trouble (tension strain pressing) go back to the note before hit it 1000 times on every vowel. Stay with neutral vowels meaning uh or eh and work it to the top of your voice just stay consistent with the breath. Many things you can to do. But in the end its not all the things it's knowing how and why you do a few things. Writing it in a thread usually just confuses everyone. Good luck stay persistent but don't get frustrated

You said "But in the end, it's not all the things it's knowing why and how

You do a few things." Sorry, What do you mean by this Daniel? For instance

I practiced vocals today I was able to tap into c5 several times without cracking

By freeing the jaw and enunciating my words much better.

And once or twice I tapped into d5 all in my mix.

Well there are a lot of exercises out there that have you do things like raise your larynx, compress your sound,lower your larynx, yawn, cry etc. what I meant was know why you do certain exercises and don't think that modifying this or lowering that is gonna help with whether it be range tone pitch. Just be aware if why you do things don't just do them. I'm glad you hit your notes, now tomorrow be conscious of what you did today and hopefully consistence will be there

You said "But in the end, it's not all the things it's knowing why and how

You do a few things." Sorry, What do you mean by this Daniel? For instance

I practiced vocals today I was able to tap into c5 several times without cracking

By freeing the jaw and enunciating my words much better.

And once or twice I tapped into d5 all in my mix.

Seems to me that Daniel meant just what he said. It's not all the magical technique in the world. It's the few things that work for your voice and why you do them that matters. Unless, of course, you have the voice that can magically do every sound. I don't suppose you could post a recording. Unless the cat ate your computer or the Moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. And love will guide the planets. This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius

(sorry, went off on a tangent, there.)

Why do you sometimes crack on the high notes? Either you haven't practiced enough or there is something wrong with your "technique." That's why Daniel is saying to pay attention to what you were doing when it was flawless, so that you can repeat that.

• 2 months later...

The first thing you have to do if you want to learn how to sing louder is check out your breathing. You must be able to breather using the whole diaphragm. Ever wonder why children can cry so loudly even if they have those really small lungs? It's because unlike us, they breathe correctly, utilizing the full power of their lungs. With more practice on your part, it's possible to sing out in the voice decibel that you want to with perhaps a bit more control.

Here's a video to help you sing better: How to Access Your Head Voice

Think of mix voice as blend. It is how you "mix" the power of chest voice and the easiness of falsetto.

That being said, when you go higher in mix voice, you use more falsetto. If in your falsetto you can't sing with power, you'll find it harder and harder to sing high in your mix voice. Work on establishing your falsetto. For guys, try to get between an E5 and A5, and then when you can sing there with confidence and strength, try to move notes in your mix voice up more too.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to try and offer some advice!

I am an amateur vocalist who decided to take singing serious

Remember, you're not taking singing serious if you're not taking lessons with a teacher. Lessons with a teacher = serious. Everything else is useless.

[sic]

Remember, you're not taking singing serious if you're not taking lessons with a teacher. Lessons with a teacher = serious. Everything else is useless.

[sic]

Hahaha! That's one of the most ludicrous things I've read on this forum.

Who was the genius that said/wrote that? :P

I would be one of them. And I stand my ground :).

Great! :D Stand your ground and answer a few questions I have!

How did we learn to sing from the get-go? There wasn't always a teacher around.

How does new techniques and styles develop? And you can't answer "together with a teacher" because developing a new technique/style implies that the student had an own idea, which proves that "everything else is worthless" is false.

Well, the teacher could have gotten the idea by his own and then learn it to the student, but the teacher still did it on his own without HIS (presumed) teacher.

Oh I think its Alien tech.

See the answer was absurd, so it makes me wrong and thus people will learn alone.

Cant wait to hear it!

Not much of standing your ground there I'm afraid :D But yes, it's absurd! Just as claiming everything else than a teacher is useless is absurd. That doesn't mean that teachers are redundant though. Far from it!

If the rumours are true, you should listen to Halford and Bruce Dickinson to hear famous vocalists without any noteworthy vocal training from a teacher... but it could just be rumours, I don't know :)

Cant wait to hear it!

What, singing without a teacher? Surely, being a teacher, you must have heard some already.

Singing "well" without a teacher is subjective, so that's pretty much a swamp to sink in.

Can you learn to sing on your own? Definitely. Singing is vocalizing with melody, or uttering words or phrases with modulations in the voice.

Can you learn to sing on your own so you please everyone? Most likely not. Can you learn to sing on your own so you get an OK from a person who makes his living off of vocal lessons? Definitely not.

EDIT: If a person can sing, what can he do? What's the definition of a person that can sing? What about a person that can't sing? So in short: What's the difference between a person who can sing and a person who can't sing?

why do you people talk in absolute extremes xd

i guess that following this logic most people are having in the forum, jens would totally suck, which he doesnt sooo.... whats the point xd

Sorry if I seem like I deal in extremes, I really don't. I like to think I'm very, very objective and open, and I don't really rule out anything in regards to learning something. Especially singing, since I've seen so many people sing "well enough" even without any kind of vocal guidance. I've been trying to get a recording from a friend who does acoustic gigs, and he has no idea about anything related to singing. He's never had any training and all he's done is just sang and imitated sounds and singers.

So it's disappointing to see a "respected" vocal coach or a semi-pro saying pretty steep stuff like that something is "useless" in relation to singing. I think if you vocalize at all, and nothing's hurting, then you're doing something to get better. Could you do it even better with guidance? Sure. But as it stands, you're doing something to get better, and that's something in itself.

Also, singing is just vocalizing on pitch, right? Or am I wrong? If we agree on this, then doesn't that already trump the "you can't sing if you don't take lessons" or "practicing on your own is useless" -argument?

I'm sure we're misunderstanding each other if I'm the one coming off as an extremist.

EDIT: Also, why would Jens suck? Is he reportedly self-taught?

let's get back on track here...

to sing a tenor c with consistency and stability takes a lot of work and practice. make sure you have your breathing down...ribs expanded, diaphragm controlled. don't use or blow a lot of air up there or push.

it's a tough note and is even tougher depending on how you set it up...light mix, heavy mix, etc.

you also have to watch whether the vowel you are singing is preceded by an unvoiced consonant. when a vowel is preceded by an unvoiced consonant the whole thing can fall apart because you lose your track of resonance and up there it's seriously important because you have to manage more air pressure, not more air, more air pressure.

when you're up there so much has to right and the vowel needs to be accurate for your particular voice.

you have to earn it....

Yes, cant wait to hear it.

Here's a guy who had no singing lessons or teacher, according to himself, family, and friends. In fact, he started out playing drums in a scottish pipe and drum band with his father.

Here's a guy who says he never had singing lessons and learned how to breath from playing wind instruments.

Here's a guy who took opera singing lessons and also studied ballet.

Hi,

If your voice is cracking or breaking, it usually means that you are driving your voice up from your lower and mid registers and it is not coordinating correctly (i.e. mixing correctly).

As one of the other posters mentioned it's what you do down low and in the middle registers that's important, especially the notes between C4 & F#4. If these notes are not coordinated or "mixed" correctly, then you will drive your voice as you go higher, which can cause the cracking/breaking (and other vocal problems).

One way to test this, is to stand in front of the mirror and sing a high C, if your larynx rises rather than lowers, then you are more than likely driving your voice.

I also agree with one of the other posters when they say that finding a good teacher is a great idea

rowns, here let me help:

Neither learned to sing by lessons, as far as I am aware.

The thing is, these are not the guys asking on an internet forum how to "sing high C". And even with lessons, if you get to do 1% of what these guys did with their music, kudos for you.

So I still am calling out on the results, be it from you, from geran, or the dude that made the thread.

With no lessons, all you can do is sing and aim for comfort/quality, forget technique.

Or not, no need to show me anything, has nothing to do with me anyways. I will just annoy from time to time and remind you all that time is still passing.