Foo Fighters - The Pretender (Vocal Demo Challenge)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Work on your breathing. This song is almost one constant breath in the chorus and you sound like you're running out of steam during those parts. Off pitch to start. You correct it a bit towards the middle but then lose your pitch again towards the end. As for the mix, bring up the backing track and tone down the volume of your vocal track. Good energy. Keep at it and you'll get there.

I wanted to see this but my old computer is messing up. We're getting new ones at work, so maybe I can get my boss's old one for cheap.

Anyway, what if I say you're not like the others? What if I say your not like the other ones? I don't want to be your monkey wrench.

And other infectious phrases flung upon us by Mr. Grohl. I can't wait to hear this one because I have liked how you cover Foo Fighters.

And giving Taylor a run for the money. He's very humble and once he finds that "groove," he's like a freight train and you are not stopping him. And he sings Led Zep better than Dave.

Good job Overdrive!

I agree with Bernie that there is some pitch problems in the first few lines... mostly toward the flat side. If you are aware of it, you can definitely fix it. I liked your tone in the chorus as well.

I saw this earlier today... I think this may be more help than I am... watch where Ken breathes and how he shapes his tongue for certain vowels just to see if there's anything you'd find useful. He definitely makes a point of relaxing via the lifting and dropping of shoulders as he sings as well as moving his head and neck freely to keep tension from creeping in with such an intense delivery.

UPDATE! Please provide feedback for my NEWEST Kodaline High Hopes Practice Cover - http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=10062

My Soundcloud- http://soundcloud.com/bchen929 -
A continuous work in progress, always improving.

Much appreciated guys, and yes the beginning is pitchy. I'll work on it. This recording is the 5th take and my voice was growing tired, but even when that happens, adding compression seems improve the pitch.

Finally got to hear this. First off, even though I am older than Dave Grohl, I want to grow up and write songs like he does. This was not only a huge break-out hit for FF, but just a really good song, it's all in the lyrics. Which leads me to hypothesize why you are shaky in spots. It's the phrasing. Dave, of course, has been drummer for Nirvana and, on the road, regularly drums for Queens of the Stone Age. So, when he writes a song, it's all about rhythm. Especially with an awesome drummer like Taylor.

It's almost as if the verses and pre-chorus are meant to be behind the beat. Then Taylor kicks in on the toms and the melody goes on the beat.

You do fine in the chorus, which is the highest part of this song, because it's on the beat and you already know the timing and phrasing. Trust me, these things still catch me unaware. Here, lately, when I've done covers with just my guitar, slowing it down and using finger picking cleared things up for me, because it allowed for a more rhythmic feeling to come forth. You've got the range and the right voice. It just seems to me more of a timing issue than anything. Once you've locked into a groove and the feel of the jazz in the verses, it will sing itself.

Finally got to hear this. First off, even though I am older than Dave Grohl, I want to grow up and write songs like he does. This was not only a huge break-out hit for FF, but just a really good song, it's all in the lyrics. Which leads me to hypothesize why you are shaky in spots. It's the phrasing. Dave, of course, has been drummer for Nirvana and, on the road, regularly drums for Queens of the Stone Age. So, when he writes a song, it's all about rhythm. Especially with an awesome drummer like Taylor.

It's almost as if the verses and pre-chorus are meant to be behind the beat. Then Taylor kicks in on the toms and the melody goes on the beat.

You do fine in the chorus, which is the highest part of this song, because it's on the beat and you already know the timing and phrasing. Trust me, these things still catch me unaware. Here, lately, when I've done covers with just my guitar, slowing it down and using finger picking cleared things up for me, because it allowed for a more rhythmic feeling to come forth. You've got the range and the right voice. It just seems to me more of a timing issue than anything. Once you've locked into a groove and the feel of the jazz in the verses, it will sing itself.

Glad you got your internet fixed, and thanks for the feedback, I'll work on my phrasing!