Singing With Intensity/Rasp on higher notes? (Jared Leto-30 Seconds)

Rate this topic

CasenW

Hi all! I've been having little goals for myself along my singing path, and my goal is currently to be able to sing The Kill by 30 Seconds To Mars at least 80% as good as the original.

I just can't get that intensity he has in the chorus/bridge and I definitely can't scream at that high of a vocal range. Any advice?

Hey CasenW,

This song lives in the G4- C5 region. These sort of songs are more about solid technique than anything else. My advice to you would be, for now if you don't have the range for the song, transpose it. If you're not into that, then try and pick an easier but still challenging song. And also work on extending your vocal range with a teacher, or by yourself, whichever you prefer.

Hey CasenW,

This song lives in the G4- C5 region. These sort of songs are more about solid technique than anything else. My advice to you would be, for now if you don't have the range for the song, transpose it. If you're not into that, then try and pick an easier but still challenging song. And also work on extending your vocal range with a teacher, or by yourself, whichever you prefer.

I see.. I can do that. I've been sitting down with the keyboard and just playing as high as I can go vocally, I figure that will improve my range.

I recorded a sketchy version as an example. Please the awfulness of the first verse. I tried lowering it like was suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVles_b3ulY

I was trying new stuff and it's a bit pitchy, please give constructive criticism but don't be all "You suck!" 'Cause this was just me trying new stuff.:P

in my own experience, this is the way i sing with rasp.

First of all, maybe due to acid reflux or whatever, i have a naturally raspy tone, i'm not rod stewart but my voice is a little raspy naturally on high notes, more like a led zeppelin tone.

But one thing i learn is that you must never never ever force the tone, you must never push, and i disagree with some members here, but you don't have to work on weight and then add distortion!!!!

If i do that, i totally blow my voice out. I must keep a light voice, finding the good placement, and add some support.

One exercise you may try that i do for fun:

Start on A5 with a dopey head voice with oo vowel, turn it into a more "twangy" ha and then try to find the good placement, think about the famous witches cackles at this time, add support to turn into a more "full voice" like tone but NEVER NEVER try to get a big sound!!!!

I must say that for me it's important to find a raspy sound that suits my voice, i've always try to find the safest way to emulate that kind of sound. And you have to discover it by trials and errors.

whether its clean or raspy you have to find the right placement. That will never change...its the same note and sung clean then just add the rasp growl whatever. if you can't find it clean and have sit clearly and confidently when you add the rasp is gonna be a few more degrees off then its not happening. underneath the rasp is the pitch and vowel in the same place as when its clean, it doesn't move