Tom Petty - American Girl

• TMV World Legacy Member

My main question is would I be able to perform in front of people and not get laughed out of the building:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1a5sDM8xs8i

Tuned down 1/2 step. So the chorus high notes are all F4's. The highest note is an F#4 ("American" at the end of the chorus). I can sing it in the original key but it's a bit more of a struggle as G4/A4 is right up there at the tail end of my range and there are a lot of prolongued parts where I'd have to sing right at the edge of my range.

As usual, thanks in advance for the c/c.

You are singing in the key that Petty uses for live performances. And no, I do not think you would get laughed out of the room.

I don't get laughed out of the room. Then, again, I am tall and scary-looking and people are just quietly waiting for me to leave on my own accord.

:lol:

Good stuff, I liked your phrasing.

Haha well being only 6'1", I might have to keep working on my vocals. :P

Thanks a lot for the critique; just wondering though, what exactly does "phrasing" mean?

phrasing - timing of the lyrics, how long each word lasts, the inflection of the word, the relayed emotional content. In other words, good job.

And yeah, I have some height on you. I am 6' 6" and look like a biker that cleaned up for a court appearance.