Sign in to follow this  
initialize

Question about a music production degree?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone,

So I just separated from the military after 4 years, and my long-time dream is to become a singer. However, I've always wanted to learn how to produce music... so I'm pretty set on attending Full Sail University in Florida, which is apparently a really good school for learning this stuff.

I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on whether this seems like a good idea, or if anyone has any insight on the school/ getting a degree in music production/recording arts, etc

Here's the specific program I'm looking into: http://www.fullsail.edu/degrees/campus/recording-arts-bachelors

It depends. If you want a regular paycheck, go for the degree in music production. And be prepare to work as a low or non-paid intern at a studio. But you learn a lot of stuff. The most thing you will learn is how to listen. And I don't just mean listen to bosses. I mean, a set of hears that can hear things in a recording and do something with them. And that cannot be taught in a book or a classroom. You just have to get that.

As for singing, you could do that, too and I think having some recording skill may help you, laterally. But I could be the wrong one to comment on that. Most of my time has been singing in front of people, rather than a studio mic. They are two different worlds.

You might want to start with just getting to know how to do some good home recordings.. which is production work. You can even record your friends and such... to get a feel for it. But I would never be the advocate of not pursuing your dream and further education.   Check out our "Recording" forum where you can learn more about recording and production.  Maybe reach out to James Lugo, one of our moderators and in-house production/producer advisor.  

Also, please upload an avatar... thanks!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this