Sign in to follow this  
Gsoul82

Need a USB Mic and a Few Other Things

Rate this topic

Looking to get some equipment to record my voice with. Any good recommendations as far as a USB mic goes? I'm looking to see if I can get a decent one for under $200. What else would be good to have equipment-wise or software-wise? I have an MIDI keyboard that I can play fairly well, and a couple guitars as well, so I may play some stuff that I would want to transfer to the computer. And as far as software goes, I can also use software that works on Windows (7 or 8) or Mac (Mavericks).

Hello , 

Welcome to our forum... for starters, will you PLEASE upload a picture to your profile so you have an identity and it makes our forum look better... especially if your asking for advise...

In regards to your question... absolutely, get the this RODE USB mic, its the highest quality USB mic available. I have it and its great. 

Rode NT-USB USB Condenser Microphone

Other gear you would need is a DAW and maybe some interface equipment. I would recommend Apple Logic Pro X for your DAW and for your interface, I recommend one of the home recording kits found at The Vocal Gear Store... everything you need can be found at The Vocal Gear Store... or run a search in the Amazon.com search widget on the top right, below the banner ads.

Hope this helps... 

I can Vouch for Rode NT-USB...it is a fantastic mic..my friend is using it and like it better then some of his more notable and expensice ones...

Also for home recording, you will only need a mic (RODE) and a software...i recomend Cubase, whic can be downloaded for free if u are using it for non-commercial stuff eg. home rec.

There is alot of free lessons online to learn how to use Cubase and how to mix and master properly

p.s. when i say properly, i mean properly for home recording, not properly for mass production and world class air time xD

Thanks a lot, Rob. I'll do that. I do remember hearing about a number of well known producers vouching for Logic X. I'm not sure why that one completely slipped my mind.

And Elvis, I never heard of Cubase before, but I guess it wouldn't hurt at all to look into it.

Rob has good advice. And if I didn't have musical instruments to play, I might be okay with a USB mic, as they are quite good.

But, since I like to play instruments, I have found that having a USB interface is better. I have the m-audio m-track, $99 + tax (USD) at Best Buy. It has midi in and out. XLR input and instrument cable input and output. Live monitor, which reduces greatly the effect of latency. Has +48 volts switch for using condenser mics. I have 2 electric guitars though I only play one, the Hondo Flying V (copy of a Gibson) and a Spectrum Acoustic with built-in pick-ups and on board volume and 3 band eq. Casio LK-165 Keyboard and Kat KTMP1 percussion unit. Sennheiser e835 dynamic. Fame CM-1 large diaphragm condenser mic. And my new favorite vocal mic, the MXL V67G large diaphragm condenser mic. instrument cables, xlr to instrument cable, and xlr-to-xlr cable. 

So, for me, having a USB interface is more suitable than just a USB mic. But there are some good kits in the gear store, here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this