Need Help Singing in the Passagio

Rate this topic

Puissance

Hi everyone,

I've been trying and trying to sing the chorus of this song for the past few weeks and it's been very difficult. Does this singer simply have a natural high voice or is it exceptional skill and technique? He makes it sound so easy.

The chorus starts at 0:37

The lyrics:

When I see your face

There's not a thing that I would change

Cause you're amazing, just the way you are

And when you smile

The whole world stops and stares for a while

Cause you're amazing, just the way you are

I've bolded the trouble words (vowels)... How would I modify those vowels to make it easier to sing? Do I need to twang a lot? The singer doesn't seem to do any modifications or have I mistaken?

If needed, I can record myself singing the chorus... it may sound terrible and constricted though. =| Any advice? Thanks!!

My guess is he probably has been singing like that his whole life, who knows. I'm not exactly sure but he may be in a twanged neutral when he is doing that as opposed to curbing - however a few parts sound like curbing - here and there. I know you can learn to sing this. However it may take some specific practicing to build up to it. I just completed a project that required this type of lighter singing and it took me a good couple of weeks to develop it - I don't generally sing like this. It's a different setup - different compression - less TA, etc. and it takes some time to develop the coordination, but it is definitely doable.

First, to transition between mix and head voice, you need to create the right jaw opening to allow the larynx to tilt forward and pull the vocal cords. Pretend to bite in an apple or use the yawn sensation to do that.

There's a cool exercise on your site Val, can you share some more ?

Thanks,

Thanos