Critique my vocals. Be honest!

Rate this topic

Is "My Mistake" an original? It's very good and it reminds in tone of the song "I'm a Bitch."

You did a good job of covering "Barracuda." The suggestions I have on that are because I've been listening to Ann sing it for 30 something years.

Anne sings it with more twang. For a couple of reasons. One, for brightness of tone. But also for intensity of emotion. This song was written as a musical middle finger to a record company guy who intimated that Ann and Nancy, who are sisters, were also lesbian lovers. To have all their hard work disregarded and be relegated to a wink-wink nudge-nudge joke was really too much. Point being, this song is sung with anger. When you sing this song, sing it to someone who has devalued your artistic expression, said you coudn't do it, or has said that you are wasting your time.

"Wise man" is also good. In fact, I like the four songs in page. The only thing I could say for something that you could change is either the mix in recording or the mix on your mic. It's too bassy. We're missing the other tones in your voice. I could hear in places where you were using twang but it would have been more apparent with a different eq setting. It's just that, at times, it sounds like you are singing through a pillow and I know it's all in the mix. Maybe we should swap. I've got this cheapie mic that pics up mostly high end and I have to use bass boost in the mix down to recover some of my lower overtones.

Thanks for your feedback! All of those songs are originals except Barracuda. All of the songs except My Mistake were recorded live so the vocals are raw. That was also my first time ever recording anything and now I know what to work on and what mistakes were made. I really appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,

Miranda

IMO ur voice fit the songs perfectly... I like ur voice a lot ...like the "urgency" of the verses a lot...and when it xplodes..:cool:

My only comment would be, to see how it sounds, singing the soft verses of "mesmorize" a little "behinder" (is that a word?..lol)..in time...let the beat pass u a bit...

Same for a couple of verses of "Mistake"...IMHO

I would love to buy the songs when u record them...

Cheers,

Mackie