Sign in to follow this  
syrianrue

[Vocal] Rode NT1,NT2A, Shure SM7B, AKG c214, Neumann TLM 102 ?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I'm quite curious about the following Microphones for home recording, and was wondering if anyone could perhaps shed some lights on each of the mic's area of expertise is at and what type of vocal they're most suited for?

Rode NT1 Shure SM7B AKG c214 Rode NT2A (is this just a slightly better version of NT1?) Neumann TLM 102 (how does this compare to the others here? since it's at a higher price range ~$650)

The type of vocal I'm focusing on are similar to the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZjnAZOysU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrzbQ2YFxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnt2aHn0waA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0imaSCnSuA

Would Shure SM7B and AKG c214 be better for deeper/fuller voice vocal like these?

From some of the mic test videos I looked up on youtube, it seems these 2 mics are pretty perfect for

such tones. Am I correct? But what's the difference between SM7B and AKG c214? it's so hard to distinguish between these two.

In some, I've found the SM7B seems to sounds better, yet in others, the AKG c214 seems to edge out SM7B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-27jNoRsw

Then there's vocals like this one where the sounds are higher and thinner. Is Rode NT1 or condenser mics more suited for this job?

Most of the mics above are around the $350 range, while the Neuman tlm 102 is around the $650 range... is ths price justified when compared to the other great mics at a slightly lower price range? And does anyone have any other mics they would recommend perhaps?

On a side note, what PC Audio Interface would you guys recommend? for a home studio/recording with the mics above? A young talented youtube singer uses her Rode NT1 with TASCAM US-144MKII and seems to produce great quality recordings, would that PC Audio Interface be a good choice? or does anyone have any suggestions? :)

You could be coming down with a case of GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. For the most part, mics do have some differences, though price tag is not really the deciding factor. People such as Bruce Dickinson have literally made a career that is DECADES long with the Shure sm58 and that mic is less than $100.

Who are you trying to record? Yourself? Well, what I was thinking is that you can use a cheap mic and one of these mic emulator programs. That would give you an idea of sound through that mic before you buy one. Find one you like then buy  it for real.

Although the mics offered on the gear page here are all pro mics at a medium price.

I saw a tag line on a home recording forum I visit. "Each mic will be the perfect one for all of your needs until you find that it isn't." This is the problem with being able to record. As a performer, you might carry no more than 3 mics, maybe a wireless set-up, like they sell here.

I talked about stuff like this on my recording thread.

If you plan to be a pro studio or record bands, like my brother does, and he has a studio, you will end up going with an outboard mixer like Behringer or do like he does with a firewire.

However, if you are recording yourself singing with karaoke tracks, or even just you playing instruments or programming MIDI, a 2 input 2 output interface is all that you will need. You can get m-audio m-track for $100 at Best Buy, for example.

For recording software, maybe you already have a preference, maybe you already have protools. If not, I could recommend Reaper for several reasons.

Yes, I have watched videos and read books and the pros have all these expensive things. Mastering engineers showing off their outboard EQ and compressor rack. Stacks and racks about the same size as my 200 watt amp in the "room of perfect listening" that none of us will ever hear. They will go on about how you need to mix on monitors that have certain limits so that your stuff sounds good on a boom box. Any way so enjoy that pursuit.

They are just like the guitar guys that have literally 3 dozen guitars in what used to be a bedroom.

Most mics have a bragging range of 20 Hz to 20kHz. I have Fame CM-1 large diaphragm condenser. It's kind of bright.  I have a Sennheiser e835 dynamic, it's kind of dark but I will keep it if I want to mic my Fender 85 amp that does the 200 watts. I have the MXL V67G. It has a range of 30 Hz to 20 kHz but the graph that came with it kind of shows a roll-off before then which is fine with me. Those limits are way past the limits of my voice. I like the 67. It was made to mimick an old tube mic, so it has a "warm" which works well with my warm voice. I don't have a lot of metal in my voice. However, you might like one to match against a metal voice, on purpose.

CM-1 - $23 + tax (but it was bought as part of a bundle, so it may actually cost less than that)

Sennheiser E-835 dynamic - $74.99 on ebay (free shipping)

MXL V67G $88 B&H from New York (free shipping)

Not one mic cost over 100 dollars. I have done some of the best recordings with these.

What's more important is your opinion.

syrainaue,

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World Forum !!!

Kindly check out the following links that were previously posted. Hopefully, they will be helpful to you.

Be sure to check out the videos compliments of our founder, Maestro Robert Lunte.

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

http://astore.amazon.com/thevocastudin-20

Sincere Regards,

Adolph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this