upper back tension

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have an obstacle when adopting apoggio breathing while rehearsing singing.

After only a handful of exercizes, tension begins to build up in my upper back.

Not my lower back but my upper back.

It has been this way for weeks now.

Can anyone help me overcome this?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Jay Peek

Wow man.

I hope that avatar is not Lou Grammatico.

Because I'm from Rochester, NY and I just came from some Lou Gramm media but only today and yesterday.

Wow.

So anyway.

I would say center of the scapulaes and just under the trapezius.

I have a long Scott Weiland torso and I have a ways to go with being a regular performer.

I have been at it for about 15-16 weeks and devoured everything on singing.

I can experience this unpleasantness by simply warming up with some simple candle-blow-outs, shhh's, panting, and then going right into 5-note humms and lip rolls.

Thats all it takes and then -boom- there's the beginning of the tension.

I take it easy on myself while doing these- really.

But I am eager to have results from my warm-ups and I only find my efforts paying-off when I am paying the least amount of attention to my self and I sing a tune from my teens or earlier.

Um well.

Thats about all.

I would be more than happy to answer any question to help me solve this part of my singing journey.

Thank you very much...

Justin Peek

Yes, Lou Gramm is one of my all-time favorite singers.  If you are experiencing tension in the traps region, what I would suggest is you simply go back to your very basics.

Check your posture elements for correctness...

Are your shoulders hiking up when you sing?

Are you possibly holding tension in your shoulders and neck?

Without seeing you it's pretty hard to tell.

You may need to do some muscle relaxation exercises 

Do you have a little bend in your legs, 

• Administrator

Jay,

Welcome to The Modern Vocalist World forum !

I have a quick question : Does this tension in your scapula occur when you are ONLY working on your exercises or at other times as well ?

Bob (VideoHere) is absolutely correct >>> "Without seeing you it's pretty hard to tell."

Regarding Hypokyphosis or Kyphosis : This condition can only be diagnosed by a medical PROFESSIONAL !!! The same applies to lordosis.

Here's a few brief notes regarding Hypokyphosis : 1) "This condition is described as a decrease or loss of normal spinal curvature in the thoracic region of the back." 2) "...the kyphotic curve is decreased due to back muscle spasm resulting from some other causative condition, such as a severe back injury or even regional ischemia". 3) "Minor to moderate loss of kyphotic curvature is rarely a real concern for any patients and most diagnoses blaming it as the primary symptomatic health issue lead to a series of failed treatments and sometimes a failed back surgery. "

Obviously, there's much more to this condition and this post would look like a novel if I continued !

I put sometimes a failed back surgery and severe back injury in bold print for a specific reason. That is, I've had six FAILED spinal surgeries and suffer from hypokyphosis, kyphosis, and lordosis, along with many other conditions too numerous to mention. My surgeon ASSURED me that these conditions were resolved after my last two surgeries. That turned out to be complete BS !

Obviously, I would not attempt to diagnose your condition here as I am NOT a medical professional. However, I visit an awesome chiropractor twice weekly to alleviate my symptoms, which in turn allows me to continue my singing/musical pursuits.

Please do not assume that you are afflicted with ANY of these conditions without consulting a doctor. If your symptoms persist, I would suggest consulting a GOOD chiropractor for an evaluation. In my opinion, it's the easiest and best place to start......

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or need any further clarification. I can certainly relate to your concerns !

Sincere Regards,

Adolph

For some reason this wouldn't let me post a longer answer. Whatever.

Hypokyphosis means a spine is straighter than normal. Kyphosis is the outward curve in a spine. So hypokyphosis is a loss of said curve, not a total loss, and even a small bit will cause fascial "knots" or muscle soreness/tightness. It can be lost simply by having a bad repetitive postural habit such as overcompensating bad posture by straightening the thoracic spine rather than pulling the shoulders back and correcting cervical posture.

TL;DR: don't straighten your back to sing (or engage appoggio or whatever the (*auto edit*) ever anyone's telling you), sing to straighten your back. Meaning breathe hard to engage the correct muscles, then don't over-engage them.

• Administrator

For some reason this wouldn't let me post a longer answer. Whatever.

Hypokyphosis means a spine is straighter than normal. Kyphosis is the outward curve in a spine. So hypokyphosis is a loss of said curve, not a total loss, and even a small bit will cause fascial "knots" or muscle soreness/tightness. It can be lost simply by having a bad repetitive postural habit such as overcompensating bad posture by straightening the thoracic spine rather than pulling the shoulders back and correcting cervical posture.

TL;DR: don't straighten your back to sing (or engage appoggio or whatever the (*auto edit*) ever anyone's telling you), sing to straighten your back. Meaning breathe hard to engage the correct muscles, then don't over-engage them.

I'm very familiar with all of these conditions as I've been dealing with these issues for twenty years, nine months, and twenty three days !

I could go on, but the main point is HELPING Jay !

Hello again guys!

I have to tell you ahead of time that I will be in here alot- this is only an ad-lib explanation as I am culling from a handful of other such singing sources.

Though there are only a few websites like you guys, I consider my obstacle serious and want to solve it with all the luck I can possibly gather.

I have currently a "suitcase and couch" lifestyle.

My main bedding for the past two or so years has been about a 6 inches of sofa cushion and a camper roll on a floor.

I spend alot of time in my rehearsal space.

But next month I am getting a mattress!

I honestly don't see much of a connection (to the upperback tension) because I have wrestled with costochondritis longer than that- associated with my attack on guitar whereby it actually gave me real panic attacks.

But I think I have a story.

I think I have something to sing about.

*So to answer one of the questions above- for the most part I don't feel any tension in my upper back when I wake or when I go about my day.

It just gets going when I enter into breathing exercizes and/or vocal warm-ups.

The costochondritis stays at bay when I sing too. :-)

I think its a phalanges (hand) related tension connected to the sternum and cartilage.

I broke my lower rib in a blackout when I was 19 in Philadelphia.

And my grandpa died of alcoholism, smoking, and bone cancer.

So I want to watch these ribs lol!

But I swim alot so I am in shape- but admittedly I have lived under the poverty line my whole life so my life is spent obtaining the basics of life from day to day.

Until recently I have had little time for anything else.

I AM making a brief (shirtless) video from a couple of good angles while I turn on my routine as it exists now and I will be returning to upload these very soon!

Thank you guys!

AAAHHHHLLL BEEE BAAACK......