Judas Priest's "The Sentinel" by Snax

Rate this topic

This song was a real bitch to sing! lol The more Judas Priest songs I attempt to sing the more respect I have for Rob Halford for creating such awesome vocals!

Here's my attempt... https://files.me.com/muskysnax/84lo5t.mp3

Outstanding, Mike! It's uncanny how much you sound like Halford. I had no idea until this and the last song. You even sound like him in the low parts. Cool Harmony. And, in my opinion, you sound more like Halford than did Ripper. Nothing against Ripper. You just have that timbre down to a fine art. I've toyed with the idea of covering "Breaking the Law" but now I think I'll just wait for you to do it. As you would sound so much like the original, and I think that's a good thing.

Damn, you sure know how to make a guy feel proud Ron! Thanks so much for the kind words buddy!

By all means post your version of Breaking The Law Ron. I'd really dig listening to it.

Thanks Basil! :)

I bet none of you know that one of the other singers who has been a big influence on me is Engelbert Humperdinck! There's nothing like singing a beautiful love song to a room full of ladies!

I'm a big fan of your voice, Snax. You sound more like Halfford than ... than Halford! ;)

The Humperdink (lol at his name, always) this doesn't surprise me that much because I know you like Tom Jones (and can pull off a mean Thunderball as well).

Thanks Jonpall, but Halford is unbelievable on this track! He sounds like a demon possessed as he shrieks the lyrics. Gives me chills every time I play it! I'm but a pale imitation...but I can live with that. ;)

Just finished listeing to the clip. It's actually something I don't just want to comment on but also to listen to more than once. So I'm putting it on again! :)

F#$k, Snax, you could possibly be the best Judas Priest singer I've heard (besides Halford - IN his prime, note, because you might be even better than him now and pretty equal to him in his prime from what I've heard)! So I want you to yourself a favor (or do it for me if you want to be shy and stubborn, lol) and either contact Judas Priest and send them this song and tell them that if Robert ever steps down - you could fill in ... OR just get yourself a great band if you don't already have one and start hitting the scene, big time, man! Cheers with my beer (imaginary)!

Ha,ha, you're much too kind jonpall! I will say that I do prefer my version to Ripper Owens but that's because I do naturally sound more like Halford and Judas Priest just doesn't sound right without that sound. I wish I had this voice 20 years ago when I was singing in bands and wanted to pursue music as a career. Damn tonsils! lol

Cheers right back at ya buddy! :cool:

A pale imitation you're NOT. I'm listening to the original now and switching between it and your take and honestly right now I forgot which one is playing! :) And I have a pretty good ear. DON'T put those famous singers on a god-like pedestal! You can do it just as well as Robert could!!! I'm not kidding. And he had an army of people in the studio to back him up and you're still learning how to improve these types of vocals.

Your voices are very similar (your's and Halford's). But you still can sound like Tom Waits or just yourself, which is a good thing. Think of it this way - if it had been YOU who joined Judas Priest way back instead of Halford and he was now an unknown singer trying to cover YOU, he'd probably be saying that he's just doing a "pale imitation of Snax the metal god" - and I'm sure some people would even agree with him :) Personally, I think you're showing a bigger range of emotions and sound colours in your take while he's got distortion on almost every note. F.ex. I like YOUR take on the low vocals in the bridge better than Halford's and you rock on the high notes as well and everything in between. I guess your quest now in terms of vocal techique is being able to sing with this high a standard pretty much every time and also live with a band. I know for a fact that that isn't easy but the journy is worth it. You're a great singer! Rock on! \m/

There's very few singers who I do put on a pedestal and Halford,Dio and Bruce Dickinson are definitely on the list. Not only did they sing the way they did but they created those melodies and screams in the first place. Awe inspiring and to me untouchable. I really appreciate your comments though and it makes me want to do even better next time to live up to your high regard.

Maybe I'll post just the bare vocal track with no reverb or delays etc so you can hear what I REALY sound like! You might just change your view. lol

Here's the first part of the song just my bare vocals. I hear a bunch of pitchy notes and plan on redoing all the bits that need to be fixed.

I'd love to hear Halfords bare vocal track for this song actually!

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/kv2gob.mp3

I think once I master my own air velocity I'll have a much easier time with the Priest songs. I tend to want to push too much air on some of the notes to get the grit although I know I shouldn't. There's so many nuances to this song that are apparent until you record yourself doing it and try to match Halford. I might freak a few old metal heads out if I sang this at a karaoke bar! lol

That's just it - you below at a level way above the local karaoke bar :) The guitar player in the world is probably some guy in China who still lives in his mom's basement and no one will ever hear him. Don't be that guy - get yourself heard :) I'm suggesting that you need to "get famous" or anything but you could make a lot of people happy by singing for them and I have the feeling you could be performing more and to bigger crowds right now than what you're already doing. In any case, have fun with your voice!

I've been covered by everybody else's comments so I'll just say it sounds awesome - especially when I hear just the voice, your pitch is amazing.

I'll agree with you on the "pushing" part, I'm pretty sure you could get great results with less - though I understand you're going for that hellish "rasp" of his.

Can't wait to hear more Mike - please

Thanos

Thanks everyone for such nice comments. I feel like a star here! lol:cool:

I just posted another Judas Priest song in the review and critique thread so please check it out and let me know what you think.

All I can do is is echo everything jonpall said. He said some things I thought of. Such as if, Halford took off on his own again, you should be the new singer with that sound. And you still have the JP sound without eq, reverb, or mixing.