a question for the voice instructors

Rate this topic

VideoHere

folks,

here is a file of an actual vocal exercise performed by voice teacher roger kain.

by listening to it, it sounds like the total opposite of safe vocalizing!

it is also, believe it or not, the first exercise he recommends for warming up!

note: towards the end he is really pushing!

would be kind enough to tell us your opinion of this exercise? i am dying to know because to me it seems the antithesis of proper technique.

http://www.box.net/shared/yqtib7xa3x

well it doesnt sound so bad as i thought it would, but i dunno what it will do teach you creakdistortion in highrange as a warmupexexercise :D I dont think it's dangerous, aslong as you "go" for it. I think your voice will tell you pretty quick if your going down the slope :P

What I find interesting in this clip is that, as the pitch gets higher, it sounds to me that he changes from a pure Eh vowel (as in "stay") to either an Uh (as in "hungry") or an Oe (as in "herb"). And there's a bit of creaking/vocal fry grit going on there. If it doesn't hurt to do this as a first exercise, it's probably ok, but if it DOES hurt, then you should start out with something easier. My 5 cents.

What I find interesting in this clip is that, as the pitch gets higher, it sounds to me that he changes from a pure Eh vowel (as in "stay") to either an Uh (as in "hungry") or an Oe (as in "herb"). And there's a bit of creaking/vocal fry grit going on there. If it doesn't hurt to do this as a first exercise, it's probably ok, but if it DOES hurt, then you should start out with something easier. My 5 cents.

thanks folks. i'm so hoping to hear from steven, rob, and others on this one.

isn't this pulling chest and all this other stuff we're told not to do? it's like brett manning to the 100th power (lol!!!)

Bob,

Its a fine exercise, but I don't think its the right one to start the day with. I'd much rather hear some light onset hums, accurate, coordinated onsets followed by sirens on ee and oo, and some alternations between lower voice almost fry and light upper voice.

Then, this exercise would be fine, but with better attention to pitch accuracy, and consistency of tone into the upper range than he uses in this recording. It feels to me that he's just tossing it off, not caring so much about accuracy.

The vowel modifications are what I would expect him to use.

I know that as a student of Robert Lunte he does teach us to go wacky with the Eh vowel to more of a A vowel when we get around A4. If you do not modify the vowel you will actually choke yourself.

When I listened to it almost sounds really pushy near the end though.

It sounds like he's staining to me and I really feel like this approach is much too aggressive for the first vocalization of the day. If you've ever been an athlete, you know to stretch before you jog and to jog before you sprint. I wouldn't say not to do this exercise but I would say it should be done much later in your practice schedule.